18

~*~

The day to see my mom again has finally arrived. We initially had it planned for next week, but things just seemed to work better for all of us this way.

Unfortunately, it is also on the day that the art contest is being held. It was too late to reschedule, and my dad was the one who organized for us to meet. I felt terrible for not being able to support Asher, but he seems to be okay with it.

Him being here early in the morning before I leave means a lot.

"How are you feeling?" He asks, pulling me into his embrace.

He wears sweatpants and a hoodie, his hair messy and he looks so cuddly. If only I could drag him to my room and fall back asleep. One of our favorite things to do together.

I pull back to watch his expression, "Do you think we could make it back in time?"

Asher shakes his head, cupping my face gently. "Baby I see you every day, I'll be fine." His words ease my guilt and I realize that maybe I'm just attempting to get out of meeting my mom.

I have been thinking of every possible outcome which only worsens my nerves.

"Ready?" My dad stands at the door, smiling warmly.

With a nod, I take Asher's hand and lead him outside. The drive is approximately four hours, which is why we are leaving at seven. We want to avoid traffic, and be home before it becomes dark outside.

While my dad talks to Candice inside, Asher helps me in the car. Leaning down to kiss me sweetly. "Don't stress too much."

"Good luck," I tell him before my dad gets in the car.

Asher walks to his own car, pulling out of the driveway before we follow suit. We stop at a drive-thru to get breakfast. I barely manage to eat half of a pancake with my lack of appetite. The real drive begins and I'm more relaxed when we get on the highway.

I glance at my dad briefly, curious as to how he feels about this. "Is it weird for you?" I ask. "Reuniting with mom, I mean."

He raises an eyebrow, surprised at my question. "Not really, no."

"Did you love her when she left?" His story was always short. And I stopped asking any questions after seeing how it affected him.

He taps the steering wheel due to the traffic being slow, so much for wanting to avoid it. "I did, your mother and I thought that we would be together forever.." He sighs, "I noticed her interest slowly fade, she wanted something completely different."

I chew on my lip nervously, nodding while trying to convince myself that this is what I still want. I have no choice at this point. I need to know her reasoning, and why she waited so long.

An hour in I become tired and car rides have always made me sleepy. I didn't intend to sleep for the remainder of the trip. When my eyes flutter open, I'm surprised to see that we're so close to the hotel. My chest bubbles up with nerves again.

"Are you rested now?" He teases, chuckling at my distorted state.

My throat feels dry so I nod as a response. Taking long sips of my water and tensing as we pull into the parking lot. We chose a hotel to park our car because there is a restaurant right beside it. My dad planned on reserving a room but my mother ended up getting one because she didn't want to book a flight for the same day.