20 - Obsession or publicity stunt

Neil's POV

I always wondered what a great film that I genuinely loved would be. Never thought it would be sci-fi but I was left speechless. I never watched her films. I was unknown about her existence but now I am too affectionate for her presence.

Her smile, the aura she carries, the eyes that speak a thousand thoughts in silence.

I wondered why she never kept eye contact with me intact. I never fully understood what that emotion meant. She was a true actor.

Laying on the bedsheets, I still remember thinking of Avni, but only Aditi's thoughts lingered in my mind. The letters I had of her made me feel how much of a fool I was. I was betraying her genuine feelings towards me. The way she felt for me was close to nothing that I felt for her and that alone makes me feel disgusted by myself. For the lies I never said, the lies she felt. I never knew why she messaged me that day. All of the reasons why I don't know whether I blame myself for not calling her earlier or calling her later that resulted in an utter loss for everyone that cared for her.

Tear's stained cheeks, I let out a shaky breath trying not to think about her.

++

"You, you and you," I pointed out at the 3 officers, "you all will be looking out at the suspected ones. Follow them and see where they go, and who they contact."

"You will check the details of call logs with Mr Shah and anyone the victim contacted in these previous months. And report to DD."

"DD, anything of help, report directly to me. We don't have enough time. Disguise yourselves. You don't have three days. Complete it in 2," I stood up, commanding.

"Sir, I have important news," DD muttered, voice low.

I dismissed everyone. "What?"

"The people you put out for Miss Avni's safety are already fired from their job."

"Fi–what?!"

"Sorry to inform you, sir, I couldn't quite contact her P.A. He's been ignoring my calls and we can't get out much information from one of the bodyguard's that was the medium."

"When did this happen?" I gritted through my teeth.

"Yesterday mornin–"

"And you're telling me that now? I didn't want such irresponsible behaviour DD."

"Sorry sir, but it isn't as serious as the murder case so I thought to tell you in my spare time. I was busy at the location yesterday."

I nodded, "Okay, any other important information he told?"

"No, but he did see a man entering and leaving, and since that day the atmosphere is unsettling."

"Focus on the murder case for now, and ask Officer Lee to look into it." He nodded before leaving.

Avni, you are making this real hard for me.

++

Author's POV

Avni was frustrated by the calls she received earlier. Neil. He called her again and again. Left a few messages to pick up. But Avni was already dealing with so much, she couldn't quite handle Neil.

Although maybe deep inside she knew he meant no harm, she resented the police with her whole heart. And that made Neil, the victim too...somehow.

Lovely received calls but he didn't pick up. Neil had his number, but Neil wasn't the one who was calling. It was DD. He was perplexed knowing he didn't bother him, this time. He was relieved as for once, he wasn't the medium between him and the Lady Don, he was working for.