45 - take it slow

This chapter contains mature themes and strong language! ⚠️

 ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄
Author's POV

"And what is that something that is more important than talking to me at the moment?" There's a clear challenge in his tone, subtly playful.

"Maybe, my girlfriend?" Neil bites his lower lip, containing the sheer audacity to smile wide.

The gasp is audible through the speaker. "WHAT?!" Then, there's a laugh, full of surprise and contentment. "Neil Khanna, are you kidding me?"

"Nope." Neil chuckles, walking on the wooden flooring by the pool that shimmered blue, and twinkled with the dim lights and moonlight hue.

"Oh my, this is breaking news." His friend huffs. "And who is this sophisticated human that has captured the heart of our group's heartthrob?"

"You know her."

There's a pause. One of bewilderment and contemplation. "No way!" He laughs, unsure. "Your girlfriend isn't that actress, right? Avni Raichand."

"You're right." Neil smiles.

"What the fuck!" The breath of being betrayed. "Oh my god, I never knew that you were so serious about her. I thought it was just another case. But oh well, only God knows what happens when glamour and duty collide."

"There's fire. And Romance." Neil smirks.

"I see you, Neil. Introduce me properly next time. Off duty, okay?" He smiles, happy for his longtime friend. "Enjoy your time with her, then. I guess you are on a date, huh."

"I am."

"You idiot, go then. Stop talking to me. My wife is waiting for dinner. Bye!"

"Tell her I said good night." His friend hums before hanging up.

🎬🎬🎬

Avni watched him disappear from her vision. She had been standing there by the window, her eyes staring at every moment of his while he talked on the phone.

It was a rush of adrenaline, from everything that had been happening, and everything that was going to be.

Unlike the last time, this date was a beautiful page, with paragraphs of admiration, a celebration of a partnership, lines phrasing their feelings, and words exchanged tender and sweet.

Arms slid around her waist, startling her, as a body huddled close to her own. His chest pressed against her back, a sigh of contentment leaving her mouth when she felt him press a soft kiss near her lips. Almost her lips.

"Like it here?" Neil asked, voice low, his breath tingling her neck.

Avni hummed, loving the warmth radiating from his body in this cold of winter. "You?"

"Because you are here, I am loving it here."

At that, Avni chuckled, amused. Her head turned to look at him, eyes crinkling from smiling hard when his face only held pure adoration for her. Maybe something more...but who was to know?

"Did you suggest spending time here to be a sap?"

"Oh, I can be more, Miss Raichand," He teased.

"That I figured." She laughed, giving him a playful look before detaching herself from him and walking away.

"May I ask where you are heading to?"

"Giving my legs a rest. These heels are a pain." He heard her groan, probably even rolling her eyes as her feet went click clack against the wooden floor during the trail to the bedroom. "It's a small size, I guess." She mumbled, low, but audible enough to reach his ears.