09 - On the beach

Neil's POV

She gapes at me, staring intensely as if questioning my presence. I wave before her and she blinks twice, her trance finally breaking.

She steps back a little, "Hi? Never imagined to see you here." She says pressing a smile.

"Right? Me too." I smile back.

We stand in silence not knowing what to talk about further.

"How are you here? In Goa?" She asks after a couple of minutes.

"I can ask you the same."

She huffs, "On a vacation!"

"Now?" She quirks an eyebrow at me.

Wow, change of mood right here.

"I have some business to do here."

"Like?"

"Like I can't tell you." She rolls her eyes but plays it off with a smile.

"Where are your friends then?" I ask further.

"Huh?" She stares at me.

"I mean you won't be on a vacation alone, right? Most of the people come to Goa with friends. I assume you―"

"First of all, it's none of your business with whom I am here." She glares at me then continues, "Second, why are you asking me all this? Is it because I called the ambulance that day? Or is it something else?"

I question my instincts, what did I ask? Was it something offensive?

I stare at her silently while she seems pissed off.

"Okay..." I start, "I just asked as a friendly gesture. If you don't wanna tell me, don't." I answer her with a smile.

As I take steps sideways walking away, I hear her footsteps growing closer. She quickly paces faster and stands before me.

My hands rest in the pockets of my shorts as I question her, "What?"

"And the second question?" She folds her arms.

"My answer was related to both of your questions!" I exclaim softly.

"Just a friendly gesture as I said." I shrug.

"And for the ambulance calling part, I thanked you earlier. I don't know why you think I am here because of that. I just bumped into you, nothing much." I replied rather sternly, looking at her straight in the eyes.

She doesn't need to remind me of Aditi. At least not now when I am trying to get over her death.

I saw her arms fall sideways beside her, her lips parted slightly, "Okay then! We are done here I guess." She says which seems more of a statement than a question.

I shrug. The corner of her lips press upward into a smile, and she walks away just like that.

She is just rude I guess. The same when I first met her. I won't ever forget that day.