16 - Dark Alley

Author's POV

It's been three days and finally, Avni agreed to meet him after he insisted it was important. Avni wouldn't have cared enough to follow his commands but she knew if she didn't, he will do something to make her comply.

They agreed to meet in the backyard of a dark and well furnished looking farmhouse. Something Neil would do. He cared enough for her reputation to not get her noticed by the public eye.

Avni stepped out of the car in simple jeans and a floral blacktop. To be as disguised as she could be, she wore a denim jacket and a funky cap. To her surprise, the street was far from busy. It was pure silence.

As foolish as it sounded, Avni felt like being in a movie. The farmhouse looked abandoned as if it was never been lighted up in years. It almost seemed like a prank and for the first time, she felt a bit frightened by the darkness surrounding her and the light grey clouds looked passive as if she was being watched, weren't helping much.

She decided to head back but she thought to call Neil. But before she could, a little tap on her shoulder startled her and she turned around only to gasp at the sight. It looked scary, he had his torch under his face.

"Are you f–crazy?" Avni watched her words before blurting them out only to hear him chuckling at her behaviour.

"I sure am." He said, smiling at her annoyed face.

"I have got no doubts about keeping in mind the place you chose to meet." She rolled her eyes.

"Come with me." Neil ignored her comment, flashing the torch in the front as he walked, commanding Avni to follow her.

It felt like a dark alley, as she tried to see in the dull pathway. She almost stumbled upon a stone and skipped a few steps.

"Ow!" She winced rubbing her foot, halting.

Neil caught her sight and rushed, "Are you okay?"

"Definitely not. What is this place?" She questioned, irritated.

Neil sighed, taking in a glimpse of her foot. It had a little cut, besides that it looked okay.

"Glad, you're not bleeding much." He muttered and Avni scoffed when she didn't receive an answer.

"Follow my footsteps so you don't hurt yourself again." His voice was low, but at the same time deep. He took her hand in his, making her eyes widen but Neil was too naive to notice.

"It's our old farmhouse." He said before Avni could make him let go of her hand. For once, she adorned a satisfied smile.

They walked further, turning right she saw a dimmed light illuminated at the corner of a hallway.

"It's been not used in like 9 years. My grandfather gifted it as a token of love for my grandmother." He hushed.

"And why exactly you're telling me that?" Avni asked softly.

Neil rolled his eyes for once. "Cause you asked? Remember? WHAT IS THIS PLACE?" Neil said, mimicking her previous actions.

Avni almost giggled but her expression turned into a stern one.

"So why it looks like a haunted one? I mean like–abandoned." Avni whispered.

"My grandfather died a year after we shifted, so we chose to buy another house. It kept reminding us of him." He spoke softly, not much unbothered by it. But a tear rolled down his eye. His grip on Avni's tightening a little like a flash of Aditi smiling faintly appeared in front of his eyes.

Avni gazed up at him as he wiped away his tears with his sleeve. She felt sick knowing that her comment may be triggered him. She didn't know the reason wasn't that, but the term death and he recently experienced it. It was gut-wrenching to Avni too, she had terrible memories about it.

The lights flickered on when they reached the living room. It was dusty and smelled odd.

"It's bothersome I know, but it was the safest." Neil's lips pressed into a sly smile.

"No, it's fine." Avni retorted.

Neil loosened his grip on her hands and gestured her to sit on the chair that seemed pretty clean to sit on.

"Do you need water?" He asked.

"Yes, but I don't think so." Avni nervously looked around, eyeing the place.

Neil chuckled lightly, "Don't worry, leaving the rest, the water is fresh."

He poured a glass for her, handing her and sat on the chair beside her.

"So, what's all this about?" Avni spoke, after sipping the water.

"Oh right." He muttered to himself nonchalantly.

Avni took off her cap, and for a moment Neil couldn't take his eyes off her. Her hair was a bit messy as she tried to comb it with her fingers, a few strands falling on the sides.

Avni looked up to meet his eyes.

"Uh–yeah so I was saying that there's an event on the beloved mansion of this city after a few days."

"And?" Confusion marred her eyebrows.

"So, there will be certain well-known people and you are obviously invited right?" He asked, clearing any suspicion he had.

"How y–yes." Avni hummed knowing there was no point asking.

"I told you to cooperate with me. But taking in at the fact that how stubborn you are, you won't listen."

Avni was about to throw hands."What do–"

"Let me complete, and you shall bother saying anything after I am done." Neil snapped raising a brow, "Something is surely gonna happen there, and from what I know it isn't petty. So you, make an excuse and don't go."

Avni was in a trance while listening to his nonsense and nothing seemed to make sense. She scoffed, "Wow! How can you make up such a thing? I think you should know that it is well guarded and the citizens are safe in there."

"Of course, I am on duty. I know that. But I also know the threats better than you. What you say..."

"Okay. I won't." Avni answers, smiling.

"This is unlike you." Neil says amusingly, "Nevermind, it's for the better."

Avni nods, "Yeah."

He knew Avni wasn't an easy nut to crack, but her answer shocked him a bit and he gave in, reluctantly. Although, Avni wasn't going to miss that event just because someone said so.

|××××××|

A little tension, a little love