Part One ~ Chapter Seven

“I’m sick and tired of all these notes, these messed up games.”

-Amy

------------

We were all silent. I sent Matt a wary look. He just looked down at the ground. The words Kyle had said just keep replaying in my head. Good luck. Good luck. Good luck? This just wasn’t a game of luck. If it was, well, then we were just pretty damn unlucky.

            “Okaaaay,” Johnny said. “Let’s fix this and get it over with.”

            “But how?” Ethan grumbled. “Oh, let me just go up to my dad and tell him “hey dad, don’t drive in your car. Some psychotic lunatic did something to the breaks in your car and if you drive you’ll most likely be unable to break and get yourself seriously injured.” And then he’s going to be all “oh, okay let me just go to the mechanics and get my breaks fixed. No need to explain why on earth some guy wants to kill me or any-”

            “Ethan!”

            “Sorry.” Ethan looked up at his brother. “I’m just sick of all of this.”

            “I know…” he nodded. “But it’s not just going to go away. We have to find a way to fix this.”

            My heart seemed to break as I saw the devastated look on Matt’s face. I didn’t  know how it felt to go what he was going through, but I know if my parents’ life was on the line, I would do everything in my grasp to save them. And Simeon was like family. I wasn’t going to let Matt face this one alone.

            “I have an idea,” I said. “It’s kinda out there… but it’s an idea.”

            “At this point, we’ll take anything,” Matt sighed.

            “Okay. We’re going to need some knives. And nails. And a paper and pencil.”

            “Uhmm..?” Julia said uncertainly.

            “We can slash the car’s tires. All of them. That way Simeon will be forced to take the car to the mechanic, where we will leave an anonymous tip for the mechanic to check the breaks. It’s kind of out there, but hopefully then the mechanic will check, realize there’s something wrong with the breaks, and then fix it.”

            Everyone was silent for a moment.

            “That is… out there…” Matt said.

            I laughed nervously. “Hey, we’re desperate.”

            He nodded. “Yeah, I know. Let’s do this.” He got up and started opening drawers. He took out a piece and paper and a pencil. “Here, write the note,” he handed it to Julia. “You’re the best at disguising handwriting. Amy, want to come to the garage with me? We’ll get the tools.”

            I nodded.

            “And Ethan and Johnny, make sure that no matter what, no matter what dad does not go out in his car.”

            “Aye aye, captain,” Johnny replied. I could tell my brother was trying to keep the mood light. Well, I’ll give him props for that.

            Matt and I headed out to his garage, which brought back a rush of memories. “Remember last summer, with the epic water balloon fight?” I smiled sadly as Matt looked around in his toolbox.

            “The guys totally won that,” he laughed, handing me a bag of nails. He then went to another shelf and hopped up on the table, looking for something on the top.