Part One ~ Chapter Ten

“Looking back up in the mirror, suddenly Mr. Grey was behind me. “

-Amy

------------

Thankfully, Matt came home safely that night. I didn’t know what to say to him, so I just decided not to say anything. I think Simeon could sense something was wrong between all of us that night as we ate dinner in their house. That was probably  why he suggested we go out to the movies.

            “What movie?” Johnny asked eagerly, and I realized how long it had been since I’d been to a real movie theater.

            Simeon shrugged. “There’re tons of things playing tonight. I think we just need to get out of the house, let’s go to the theater and see who wants to watch what when we get there.”

            I, for one, thought it was a fantastic idea.

            Matt, on the other hand, didn’t seem too happy about it.

            “It’s late,” he stated dully.

            “It’s only seven in the evening, honey,” Matt’s mom looked at him with concern.

            He just shrugged. “Yes, but by the time we get out of the house it’ll be eight, then we don’t even know what movies will be playing and…”

            “Remember that time you went to the movies at eleven thirty one night?” Elly questioned. “Stop trying to make excuses, there has to be something playing.”

            Julia and I traded a quick glance, one that lasted only an instant, and then she turned away and tried to look unhappy. I clenched my fists, so angry at Mr. Grey for all of this. How could he possibly be working alone? How could a school teacher just be that good?

            How did he survive that fall?

            My conscious was always asking that question.

            Sometimes love can make people do desperate things.

            Got that right.

            “Amy?” my mom shook my arm.

            “What? Sorry.”

            “Will you go run home and get my purse? We’re going to the movies at around seven forty-five.” I nodded, getting up from my seat and putting my empty plate in the Elias’s kitchen sink. Heading for the door, I was suddenly very aware of how dark out it was. And how Mr. Grey could be watching us and we wouldn’t even know it. Then again, he could watch us in the daylight and we still wouldn’t see him.

            Julia came running up next to me, not making eye contact. “My dad needs his wallet,” she said simply, slipping on her shoes. As I bent down to zipper up my boots, I looked up at her slightly. I could tell what she was saying. She wouldn’t dare let me go out there all on my own. Not when things were like this.

            On the dark street, we both walked together silently, side by side. The dim street light flickered on and off, the darkness made it so that I could barely see my hand in front of me.  It was comforting having Julia there, just to know there was somebody beside me. But when we got to Julia’s house, she gave me a look. And I knew what she meant, but I was afraid to admit it. If Mr. Grey was watching, which he probably was, then I couldn’t go into Julia’s house with her. He would know Julia was faking. Even though it was real, I hated the fake fighting with her like this. But if I didn’t leave, he would kill her parents in a heartbeat. And this time he would leave no clues for us to try and stop him.