Romeo and Juliet, discussing the volturi and the party ending in tragedy.

Elena's POV: Opening thoughts

Now as I go through English I have to wonder... and worry about the party. At least I can speak to Edward while in this class.

*Elena Swan in NM*

We are sat in English class but neither Edward or I are paying attention to Romeo and Juliet as we begin to talk.

"I ate being celebrated," I tell him but he already knows this.

"There are worse tragedies," he points out and then he glances at the TV. "Look at Romeo. Killed his true love out of sheer stupidity."

"Yeah," I agree. But I did always like Romeo growing up.

"But I do envy him one thing," he tells me and I turn back to look at him and he is still looking at the tv.

"Juliet is like perfect," I say. Perfect man like him why wouldn't he like Juliet. "If you like that obviously beautiful sort of thing."

He laughs and glances at me. "Not the girl. Uh,... the... the suicide. It's nearly impossible, for, uh... for some... people. For humans, a little poison, a dagger to the heart. There's so many different options.

I shake my head at him. I do not like the subject of this conversation.

"Why would you say that?" I ask him.

"Cause I had to consider it once," he tells me.

And now we are both thinking about James and what he did to me.

"I didn't know if I'd get to you in time," he continues and the more he talks the more horrified I feel. "I had to come up with some kind of... plan."

"What was the plan?" I ask with a deep frown on my face.

"Go to Italy and provoke the Volturi," he tells me.

What's the Volturi?

"The what?" I ask him.

"The volturi-" He begins but the teacher cuts him off and we both turn to listen,

"Now." he says glancing around at all of us. "Who'd like to repeat the last few lines of Iambic Pentameter just to show they were paying attention. Mr. Cullen."

Edward takes a deep breath. "Yes Mr. Berty. 'O here... will I set up my everlasting rest,and shake the yoke of inauspicious stars from this world-wearied flesh. Eyes look your last. Arms take your last embrace and lips o you, the doors of breath, seal with a righteous kiss a dateless bargain to engrossing death.'"

Good thing he has photographic memory. Mr. Berty tries not to look impressed as he looks round at all of us.

"Eyes on the screen people," he says.

*Elena Swan in NM*

After school I head home to change and Bella and I sit in my room to talk.

"Nice," she says when I am done with the outfit Alice had brought me for tonight. "So they're having a mini party for you?"

"I nod. "I would invite you but..."

"No thanks," she raises her hands in surrender. "I have enough awkwardness today... Jake and I are telling Billy about us...."

I turn to her confused. "Okay so what's so awkward."

"Apparently his dad has invited some of his friends, his sister in law Leanne... and her kids," she says.

I freeze in the process of brushing my hair.