Chapter 23- Morgana's Sacrifice

Morgana's POV

There were voices outside my room. My room, which I had not been allowed to leave for a week.

I lived in a castle with Morgause and my mother. My mother, who I had believed to be dead for most of my life, apparently was not. Over the past three years she'd taught me more magic, helped to grow and nurture my powers. It was only a few months ago that I caught on to her true intentions.

All along I had been but a pawn, a puppet. A puppet whose strings were held tightly in the hands of my mother. I suspected that Morgause was controlled just as tightly, but she had not realised it was so.

My magic had been growing stronger, and the dreams that came to me at night had become all the more vivid for it. It was from these dreams that I had learned the truth about my 'oh so loving' mother. She could control me, but my magic had spiralled out of her control.

And she did not like that one bit.

Which explained why I was contained in my room. I had tried to leave the castle, to find Arthur. When I realised I had been manipulated all along, I knew in my heart that Arthur could be persuaded. He could see that magic was not so much of an evil as he had been taught.

He was not Uther.

However my escape had not gone to plan. Yes, my magic exceeded that of my mother in terms of sheer power. But in experience? I was outdone. The combined might of my mother and sister was too much for me to escape. So now I was locked in my room, awaiting my fate.

The voices I had heard outside my room were faint, dulled by the brick walls which contained me. I suspected that a charm of some kind had also been placed on my room, just to make sure that I could not decipher the words that they spoke.

Using my magic in this situation was futile. The chains that bound my wrists and ankles also bound my magic, dulling the sharp power to a muted pulse which I could not wield. It almost felt painful to have my power bound in such a way, present, but beyond my desperate grasp.

Luckily, it was easy to distract myself with thoughts of my mistakes. The poor desicions I had made while being so under the spell of my 'true' family. I had realised too late. I knew my raw talent exceeded that of my mother. I knew she wanted to wield me as a weapon.

And she knew that I knew who Emrys was.

That was the only thing keeping me alive. My mother had no use for a weapon who would not fight for her. But she had use of my knowledge, of the dreams that filled my mind at night. It all made so much sense when I had learnt the true identity of Emrys. Why Arthur had always survived the attempts on his life from me and many others. Why he always escaped from numerous situations unharmed. He'd had magic, powerful magic, on his side without even realising it.

The creak of the door brought me back from my thoughts, my eyes focusing on my mother, who had just walked in. A sickly sweet smile on her face, and a sharp glass dagger in her hand.

'Dear daughter. Are you not pleased to see your mother has come to visit you today?' She tilted her head to one side, the smile still fixed upon her porcelain face.

When I did not reply, her smile was quickly replaced with a stony glare, as she strode towards where I was sat on the floor. She pressed the dagger to my neck, the glass cold on my flesh.

'Does my daughter wish to speak today? Or will she choose to remain silent, and defy her poor mother?' As she spoke the dagger moved from my neck to my arm, cutting into my flesh. Beads of red appeared on my skin, but it did not bother me.

That was when I felt it. The sting of power surrounding the newly open wound. My magic was there. Using all of my mental power, I focused what little magic I could on the wound, and watched in awe as the flesh knitted back together.

This was not simple spell casting, but pure magic.

The use of my magic had drained me of energy in a way it had never done before. My mother glared down at me. 'Most interesting. But perhaps it would have been wiser to keep that little spark of magic hidden, daughter.' She grabbed my arm and inspected the newly grown skin.

'I know that you couldn't do that again. It would drain you. You know that I have the power to take away more of your magic, don't you? You're of no use to me dead, so I won't kill you. You know that. But I can make your existence a living hell if you choose not to co-operate with me. Now. Tell me. Who is Emrys?' My mother demanded, as she loomed over me.

I could still feel some of my magic. But it was barely present. Forming a plan in my mind, I began to focus the magic.

'Well, Morgana? Are you going to tell me? Or will you choose to lead a darker existence?'

I nearly had enough. I could do this.

'Mother, I will tell you, but come closer. I will whisper it into your ear.' I said, focusing the magic as much as I possibly could.

At this, she laughed arrogantly. 'Well, what harm could it do to oblige you just this once? I always knew you would betray Camelot at the drop of a hat if I so much as threatened your magic. You always were a selfish girl.' She came closer, crounching in front of me.

'You underestimate me, mother.' I whispered in her ear.

With my magic, I broke the chain around my right wrist, and grabbed the dagger from her hand. Without hesitation, I plunged the blade into my chest.

After all, I was of no use to my mother, Vivienne, if I was dead.

Author's note: I did say that this story would be different to the TV show. I never thought that Morgana was truly evil, I just thought that she was shaped by circumstance, and manipulated by her sister. I wanted to write about her character acting selflessly, and refusing to act against Camelot. So here it is. Thank you for reading!