Chapter 18- Druid

Avalon's POV

As he approached, I grasped my sword more tightly, anticipating an attack.

But he didn't attack.

Instead, he dropped to the ground on his knees, and bowed his head. It took me a while to recognise his pose as the elven mark of respect. I had spent months away from my people now, and it had been a while since someone had done that. But then a question sprang to my mind, how did he know who I was? Very few humans knew that the elves existed, let alone who I am. Though I did have a hunch.

Stepping forward, I gently rolled up his sleeve. Druid mark. Well that made sense at least. The druids were the only humans to really know that the elves existed, it made sense that they would also know of my coronation, they most likely sensed the change in the balance of magic.

But if there was one druid here, why were there not others nearby? I realised that I had been lost in my train of thought, and my cheeks grew red when i realised I had just left the man kneeling there.

'Please stand up, people paying me the mark of respect makes me feel uncomfortable.' I tried to sound authoritative, but I think my voice came out a little shaky. I was still pumped full of adrenalin from my fight.

The man stood up, with a very small grin on his face, that he looked like he was trying to suppress. He dusted off his coat with his hands, and then put his hand out for me to shake.

I took it, somewhat confusedly.

'I'm Tryst' He said, as he withdrew his hand.

I blinked a couple of times, unsure if I'd heard him properly.

'You did hear me properly, my lady. Some may view my name as unfortunate, I view it as an oppurtunity.' He said this with a wink. I was too shocked to do anything.

He just laughed at me, I'm sure my face was a picture of shock.

'I'm Avalon.' It was the best response I could muster.

He laughed again. 'I know who you are. Avalon, Empress of the elven kingdoms, Guardian of the lakes and forests. Very fancy title you've got yourself there.'

'I know, but please just call me Avalon or Avie, I hate people calling me 'my lady' or 'Empress'. It just makes me feel uncomfortable. I was no one until a year ago, and then all of a sudden everything changed. Just call me by my name.' It was true. I just felt odd about being referred to by my royal title. That wasn't who I really was, just something I was forced into.

He nodded. 'Alright then, Avalon.' He smiled again, but it was a more gentle smile, which I returned.

'If you don't mind me asking, where are the other druids?' I asked. I was curious as to where they were. I thought they'd be more likely to be hanging around the area where Morgana wants to battle Arthur. The druids like to keep a tab on things.

'Ah. Well I'm not sure. I think they are probably snooping around the battle site, which is obviously miles away on the other side of Camelot, but I suspect you knew that anyway. I think your real question was 'why are you not with the other Druids?'. Am I correct?' He raised an eyebrow.

I just nodded. He was definitely clever, there was not a doubt about that.

'I thought so. Well to cut a long story short, they kicked me out from their order. I travel solo now, and answer to very few but myself.'

'Why did the druids kick you out? What did you do?'

He put his hand on his chest in mock hurt. 'We have only known each other minutes, and you are already accusing me of crimes!' He said this with laughter in his eyes, so I knew that he was joking. However, his face had darkened slightly, so I didn't push the subject further.

'Anyway, I think it's best that we find someplace to camp, Avalon. It will get dark in a few hours, and I would like to be safely hidden at that point. I know somewhere suitable not far from here. You can come with me, if you would like.' I noticed that Tryst was more than eager to change the subject from the druids, but I went along with it anyway. It was none of my business what dealings he had with the druids. I was well aware that he may be dangerous, but he didn't seem like that kind of person, and thanks to my magic, I was intuitive when it came to people.

So I nodded, and walked alongside him to a clearing in the forest. As we walked, we didn't speak. We just maintained a comfortable silence, watching for anymore signs of bandits.

When we reached the clearing, Tryst opened up a small satchel that had been slung over his shoulder. He drew out a large canvas, and 5 long branches from the satchel. I smiled as I realised he had enchanted his satchel. It was a clever spell, which involved making the satchel bigger on the inside than it was on the outside. It meant that abviously he was able to carry camping equipment around with him, in a very small bag.

'Avalon, would you mind setting up a ward? I'm going to assemble this teepee, so it would be helpful.' I nodded, and started to assemble the ward in my mind's eye. It was nice to have something to occupy my mind. It kept me from thinking about my parents, Levalen and Merlin. At the moment, it was painful to think about any of those things. After a few minutes, the ward was complete, making sure we were safe from bandits for as long as I maintained the ward. I turned around to see that the teepee had been assembled, and Tryst standing with an eyebrow raised, watching me.

'To set up a ward of that strength, in five minutes, is incredible. It would take most sorcerers much longer. I knew that you were powerful, but that definitely puts things into a clearer perspective, Avalon.' I knew that Tryst would know about the triunity, and the kind of power that I wielded. Thinking about the triunity reminded me of Merlin, but I pished the thoughts from my mind.

'I think I'm going to get some sleep now, Tryst.'

'Inviting yourself into my tent already are we?' Tryst said, with a teasing wink.

I just rolled my eyes, and went into the teepee, setting my satchel down on the far right side of the teepee. Then, before I set out my bedroll to sleep, I cast a ward around myself, but a very fine one, so that Tryst wouldn't sense a shift in the magic. Just because I couldn't detect any negative energy around Tryst, it didn't mean that I would be so stupid as to not protect myself. I placed my dagger under my pillow, so I could grab it quickly if I needed to, and then finally laid down my head to sleep.

Hope you enjoyed the chapter! Let me know what you think of Tryst down in the comments! :D

Also, if you don't know why Avie is shocked at his name, it's because of it's meaning.

Tryst: A meeting between two people involved in a secret romantic meeting.