Chapter 9- Goodbye

Merlin's POV

I watched the sun rise from my window as I had many a time before. I did not want this to be the last time I saw this sight. It was one of the few times of day when Camelot was quiet and bustling with the usual activity. The only people I could see were farmers, bringing in their crop to the market from the outlying villages that surrounded Camelot.

There was a noticeable chill in the air, and I could see a faint sheen of frost coating the city as far as I could see. I was concerned about camping outside in this kind of weather, I seriously doubted that it was a good idea. The comfortable silence of the morning was interrupted by a shuffling noise, and I turned to see Gaius, who stood there with a deep sadness in his eyes. He, too, had been asked to leave, but he had a much better excuse to say than I, after all, he was the Royal Physician. He was the one person that had the ability to really save lives, and he would be invaluable in the impending battle.

'Merlin, I want you to have this.' Gaius held out a large book, which I realised upon closer inspection, was his most used spell book. There was every spell imaginable inside that book and I knew that nothing he could give me would help me more than that. Gaius then also produced a bag which clinked when it moved. I guessed that he had been up all night brewing all manner of potions for me to use.

'Gaius, thank you so much. I will be back, and I will help you win this war when it arrives.' I took the bag of potions and spell book and placed them on the table next to me, before hugging Gaius. He was like a father to me, especially as my own was long dead.

'I have no doubt that you will be the one who wins this war, and I hope that you can do this with your magic Merlin. One day Arthur will be able to see you for how great you truly are.'

I smiled at that. I couldn't imagine the day that Arthur would be grateful for my help on the battlefield.

'I will be back Gaius.' I picked up the book and bag, and then grabbed my knapsack from where it lay on the floor. Packing the things that Gaius had gave me inside, I picked up the bag containing all of my possessions and walked out of the door.

---------------------------

Avie was waiting for me when I knocked on the door to her quarters. She gave me a sad smile, I think she realised how hard leaving Camelot would be for me.

Without a word to each other, we walked down the stairs, and out of the castle. In the courtyard, I turned back, to look upon the castle for what could be the very last time.

I saw movement in one of the windows, and Arthur was there, watching me leave through his window. When he noticed me looking, he walked away from the window, and I appreciated this silent goodbye.

I looked at Avie, and we both walked out of the courtyard, and out of Camelot.

----------------------------------

The lake was not far from Camelot really, it was little more than half a day's trek, and that was at a leisurely pace. Myself and Avie were able to take regular breaks, and pick things like berries on the way to the lake. Neither of us had brought much food. After all, with our magic we could easily fish or forage, so I doubted that there was much need to waste packing space on loaves of bread. I had only brought a block of cheese, a bread roll, and some cooked steak that I had 'borrowed' from the kitchens. I did not feel much guilt about that, the cook had never exactly been friendly towards me.

Avie and I spoke as we walked, mainly about what our plan was for the coming weeks. She told me that she had ways of finding out when the war would begin and that it should not be difficult for us to find the location. Her position as Empress of the elves came in handy, it seemed. I also felt happy about having someone with me who I could freely talk about my magic with. It was refreshing not having to hide my abilities all of the time, and Avie was was only too happy to talk about magic.

Apparently it was interesting to hear my perspective on it as she never had to hide her magic where she came from. It was celebrated. A part of me longed for that kind of acceptance, yet I knew it would never happen in Camelot, or much of Albion, for a very long time.

When Arthur first became king, I had thought that he may be more open to the use of magic than his father was. Whilst it was true that he was much less hateful of it, I did not see him allowing magic in Camelot until Morgana was gone. She was the type of person that turned people against magic. No one seemed to acknowledge that it was not magic that was corrupt, it was the person.

I was so lost in my thoughts that it took me a while before I realised we were at the lake. Avie had to tug on my sleeve to get my attention. It seemed that we had arrived.