Chapter 19- Elven Lands

Levalen's POV

We had been walking for a few days now. I was taking Merlin to the nearest coast, where I could transport us to the elven lands. Like my sister, I was a water elf, but my power stemmed from the sea rather than a lake. When we reached the coastline, I would be able to get to the elven lands in a couple of days, and I knew it wouldn't be long until we reached the sea.

Myself and Merlin had stayed mostly silent in our journeying. I was not interested in talking to him until he stopped moping, and I knew that Merlin had little interest in talking to me. Part of me suspected that he blamed me in part for what had happened between him and Avalon. Either way, we talked very little, and I mostly spent our time walking thinking about home.

It was now starting to approach dusk, but I did not want to stop walking. My powers sensed that we were about an hours trek away from the sea, and it would be best to reach the coast before night time fell.

'Merlin.'

'Yes Levalen?' Merlin just mumbled. He sounded irritated, he could probably guess what I was going to say.

'We are not stopping yet. I think we are about an hour from the coast, so we will set up camp when we get there.' I told him. He just nodded curtly, and we continued walking.

Our path was through the forest, but the trees were starting to thin a little. It would be nice, i thought, to finally get out of the trees. Camelot was situated a way away from the coast, seperated by miles of dense forest. We had travelled in nothing but the dense forest since we left the lake, and I was getting quickly bored with the continuous sight of trees. I had grown up in a land that was largely plantlife, but the elven trees were exotic and interesting. The trees in these forests were dull to me.

As we walked, my thoughts drifted to my sister. I wondered how she was faring. Though I tried hard to forget about her, I couldn't help but sometimes think about her. She was alone, but I knew she was more than capable of taking care of herself. If I still wanted to know how she was, I knew an elf that could help me.

After a while of walking in silence, with my thoughts occupying my head, we reached the shoreline. The smell of the sea air was refreshing to me, and I could feel myself relax a little. Merlin said nothing, but began to set up his resting place. I watched out of the corner of my eye as he manipulated the earth to form a small hollow where he could comfortably sleep, and be sheltered so no one could see him there. It was interesting to watch him work. He was definitely powerful, as he had mastered earth manipulation in the short time he had known about it.

I used my magic to create a hollow similar to Merlin's, and then set my bag down as my pillow, and set down a bedding roll. I then said goodnight to Merlin, and fell asleep.

-----------------------------------------------

The next morning, Merlin was awake before I was. He had set up a small campfire and was making some kind of mixture. The smell drifted over to me, and brought memories with it. Merlin was preparing the same kind of jam that my father used to make for my family to all share. Avalon must have showed Merlin how to prepare the recipe. I pushed the thoughts of parents from my head- it only made me angry to think about it. I sat opposite Merlin silently, watching him prepare the jam.

'Good morning Levalen.'

I was surprised that Merlin had spoken to me first. This was rare, as I would usually start any kind of conversation. Now I looked more closely, I noticed that Merlin seemed different. Less... sorrowful. The bags under his eyes were faint and he was less slow and clumsy in his movements. I smiled a little to myself, pleased that I wouldn't have to put up with this fool moping around as much anymore.

'Good morning Merlin.' He then passed me a bread roll filled with jam, and I took a bite. I had been right about him using the same recipe as my father. It tasted exactly the same. I blocked the memories out, and just enjoyed the meal. The bread tasted very fresh, come to think of it, it had tasted fresh every day.

'Merlin, how do you keep this bread tasting so fresh? It's like it was baked this morning.'

He smiled a little at this. 'A spell that Gaius taught me. It just keeps food from going stale and keeps it safe to consume.'

I nodded, and finished my roll.

As Merlin tidied away the pots, I packed my bedroll away and prepared myself. What I was about to do required concentration, so mentally, I had to be in the right state. Being a sea elf, I could manipulate the water and use in a way which other elves could not. It was especially useful in this case.

When I was ready, I walked over to where Merlin had been waiting patiently.

'Merlin, you need to take off your shoes and pack them into your bag.' I did just that myself, packing my shoes into my bag. Then, I took a step into the sea, beckoning for Merlin to do the same.

'Merlin, I have only done this with another person once before. You must not move, alright?'

He nodded, and I placed my hand on his arm, closed my eyes, and pictured the elven lands. The coast that was close to the city that I called home, the sea crashing upon the white sands, and the dense jungle just beyond. I opened my eyes, and we were there.

I was home.

Author's note: Hey guys, please vote if you enjoyed the chapter <3 Merlin is coming back into the story a lot more now, so stay tuned :)