Chapter Thirteen

"We should go Christmas shopping today," you said to Bucky, who was eating a Christmas tree shaped pancake.

"Why does everything involve shopping?" he said, not looking up from his phone. It had been two days since your date and if it was possible you had fallen in love with him more. Your dad was still getting used to the thought of you two being together, but it was a start. And even if he hadn't have been okay with it, you wouldn't have cared. Honestly the worst decision you'd ever made was letting him go. 

"Because it's Christmas," you said, "Don't you need gifts?"

"Why?" he said.

"Because it's Christmas you idiot," you said, "Come on we're going," he rolled his eyes but still smiled at you. Because as long as you were together, it didn't matter what you were doing. All that mattered was that Bucky was by your side. And that he was never going to leave again. 

Two hours later you were both in the shopping centre, hand in hand and surrounded by busy Christmas shoppers. Christmas music was playing over the speakers. It was perfect for a date. You walked round the shops acquiring different gifts for people and helping Bucky pick out gifts. He had gone for some air when you found a perfect gift for him, it was a locket that he could wear with a picture of you both inside. You had it wrapped and put in a fancy box for him, because you wanted it to be perfect, because it was like his first Christmas since the war. 

"Hey Doll," said Bucky, slipping his hand in yours as you came out the store. You had put his gift in your bad, after having it wrapped beautifully so that he wouldn't find it. This Christmas was going to be perfect, that was one thing that you were positive about. Because Bucky would be happy and he would remember this forever. 

"Hey," you said, "Do you have anywhere else you want to go?"

"Um, yes actually, I have to get you a hot chocolate right?" he said, dragging you into a coffee shop, "Because it's like winter and google said it was very aesthetic," omg he was just so cute. He googled aesthetic winter dates. You loved him more and more everyday.

You walked back into the tower, holding a hot chocolate and bags of Christmas shopping. "So what do we do now?" said Bucky, pressing for the elevator.

Ten minutes found you sat on the floor of your room, surrounded by wrapping paper, gift tags and Christmas cards. "I don't see the point in this when all you do is like rip up the paper when you take it off," said Bucky, sticking a gift label to Steve's gift.

"It's tradition," you said, "Like Christmas trees, Christmas dinner, singing christmas carols," Bucky didn't say anything for a while. He probably didn't remember Christmas all that well. Which made you feel kind of bad. You knew how he felt around the others when they would talk about old memories. Because he didn't have any. And he would often ask you about them just so he could understand conversations. 

"Okay so can you make new traditions?" said Bucky, watching you neatly wrap Nat's gift and place it in a gift bag. He had a slight twinkle in his eye, which you failed to notice, as he asked you. 

"I guess," you said, "Why?"

"Okay so you have to trust me," he said, taking your hand. You followed him into the elevator and waited for it to stop. It felt like it kept going up. It stopped on the sixteenth floor and you followed Bucky up the stairs to the roof. When you opened up the door, you heard Christmas music.

Bucky was standing by a table, which had an old record player on it. "I wanted to take you dancing," he said, "But I thought it would be more romantic here," the snow had covered the roof and it was falling slowly around you. The view from here was beautiful, looking out over the snow covered city. This whole thing was beautiful. And so was the man stood here in front of you, a sweet smile on his face. You wanted to cry. This was so perfect. 

He took your hand and began to dance with you slowly, "Did I ever tell you how beautiful you looked?" he whispered.

"You tell me everyday," you said, "Even when I disagree with you,"

"I'm always right," he said. You smiled as you rested your head against his chest and he kissed the top of your head. He had gone out of his way to make this the most magical date you'd ever been on. He was the sweetest man you'd ever known.

You stayed in Bucky's arms for a while, but eventually got dark and you began to get cold. Bucky picked up the record player as you headed back inside. "Oh look, there's the lovebirds," said Sam as you came into the kitchen holding Bucky's hand. You rolled your eyes, but you didn't mind the nickname. As long as you were Bucky's. Simp behaviour. 

You were making Christmas cookies when you heard Steve and your dad come in. "All right, we have to take down a HYDRA base now," said Steve, "They're planning an attack, so suit up,"

Bucky was eating the cookie dough off the spoon and you looked over to him. He shrugged his shoulders, you didn't want him to leave. "Well does Bucky have to go?" you asked as you put some cookies in the oven.

"Sorry we need everyone for this mission," said your dad.

"I don't want you to leave," you said to Bucky as he came over to kiss you.

"I don't want to leave either doll," he said, brushing the hair from your face, "But I have to," he kissed your cheek. Well aware that your dad was still watching from the corner of the room. 

"Promise me you'll come back," you said as he wrapped his arms round you.

"I promise doll," he said, "Save me some cookies," he went to get his uniform. Your gaze followed him until he'd stepped in the elevator. Sometimes you forgot he was an avenger and he had to go on dangerous missions.

"He'll be okay," said your dad from the doorway, "He's an avenger after all," you smiled.

---------------------------

"Bye," you said, as Bucky kissed you goodbye.

You watched as he went onboard the jet and waved to you as the door closed. Your heart sinking at the thought of him not being with you. The jet left the tower and you watched as it became a faint dot in the sky.