Chapter Nine

You spent the next month trying to ignore Bucky, despite his every chance to be with you and it broke your heart. After the first week he gave up and ignored you completely which made you feel sick with yourself, you'd literally broken him, worse than HYDRA. Everytime you looked at him you searched for the man you loved. But he was completely closed off from you now. And you hated yourself for letting it happen. 

Bucky, Nat, Wanda, Clint and Vision had all gone on a mission last week and you were waiting for their return. You could tell Steve hated not being on the mission with Bucky, and you hated him not being there with him. At least when you ignored him he had Steve. Now he had no one. You were typing some responses to emails when you heard it. The distress signal. It meant the team or a member of the team was in danger, it had only ever happened once. You started freaking out, trying to get Natasha on the phone, as Steve, Tony and Sam decided to get ready to leave as backup.

"Nat," you said, as she picked up the phone. The fear and panic in your voice rising. You were worried sick, for Bucky. This was a HYDRA mission, making it twice as dangerous for him. It couldn't be Bucky. They had to be okay. 

"Y/n I'm so sorry," she said.

"What?" you knew the HYDRA base task had been difficult but this had never happened before. You knew the answer, as you tried not to cry. 

"They got Bucky," said Nat. No, no that was the worst case scenario. Steve came in with his stuff, and you felt a tear slip down your cheek. "We tried to stop them, I promise you that we did, but they got him, I'm so sorry " 

"No, Nat please," you said, shaking, "Please no," she was silent on the other end of the phone.

When you put down the phone Steve asked you what it was. You were in tears and your words just came out all pathetic. "Bucky," you choked out. His eyes went wide, Steve had known the risks when bringing Bucky to the tower and letting him on missions, it was likely he could be recaptured by HYDRA. You had just prayed it wouldn't happen, but it did, it was like your world was falling apart around you.

"Steve you have to take me with you," you begged as Steve started loading equipment onto the jet. You had to be there to find Bucky. And tell him that this was never happening again because you wouldn't let it. Because you wanted to be there for him again. 

"Tony will kill me," he said.

"I love him Steve," you said, "Please," he just shook his head, exasperated. All you could do was sneak onboard the jet and wait. Steve went to find Sam and Tony and then you went into the bathroom and closed the door. You waited for them to come onboard and soon enough you heard their voices. Trying not to be so loud, you wiped the tears from your eyes and tried to slow your breathing. You were going to find Bucky.

                                                                            ------------------------

You felt the ship land down, it must be where the distress signal was coming from. You opened the door, to where Sam and Tony were setting up their equipment, your dad's eyes landed on you and immediately filled with rage. "Okay," you said, "But I had to,"

After a rant from your dad about personal and civilian safety, they told you to stay onboard the jet in case they could get a hold of Bucky through the earpiece. You waited by the microphones, praying silently to hear anything from him. Anything. Just as you were about to give up hope the microphone started to make a noise. "Oh God Bucky is that you?"

"Y/n,"  you heard Bucky's voice, "What the hell are you doing here?"

"Trying to save you," you said as your voice broke.

"You're too late," he said.

"No, no," you whispered. You felt your heart break. You couldn't lose him, you just couldn't.

"Y/n," said Bucky, his voice was soft. You knew what was coming.

"Bucky," you said, "everyone's in there looking for you, we'll find you just hang on okay?"

"I'm in the chair," he said, the one he'd had nightmares about, where he'd been strapped to the table and they removed every memory he had. You felt tears stinging your eyes, if they wiped his memories you would have to live with everything, you would still love him, and he wouldn't even know you. "Y/n I'm sorry," he sounded tired and broken and everything was your fault.

"Do you know your location? I can send someone out to you," you said as the connection started to break up, meaning he was trying to stop people from knowing he was talking to you.

"It's too late,"

"No it's not," you said, trying to admit to yourself he wasn't going to leave.

"I'm sorry Y/n," he said, you heard someone come onboard but you didn't care, "I love you okay, I wish we could've worked out,"

"Bucky don't do this," you said, tears rolling down your cheek. "We can still be together, if I can just get someone to you, Buck, please, help me out here okay?" you were crying uncontrollably as you realised what was about to happen. 

"I love you," he said, his voice starting to break up. 

"I love you...." the connection broke off, "too," you felt tears fall down your face but you did nothing to stop them, you'd actually lost him "Bucky no," you screamed, trying to get the connection back up. He was gone, you felt someone trying to hug you but you couldn't feel comfort, you felt your heart shatter into a million pieces. "No," you whispered, sobbing, "Don't leave me,"

Bucky had left you. And now you were all alone.