10

Bree

_

The next morning, I woke up, finally feeling like my old self. Whatever magic Narcissa had worked...literally, it had finally run its course and that vile curse Fitz put on me had lifted! Then, as soon as the fleeting moment of peace had occurred, I was overrun with the memories of that awful night. Fitz...lifting off his shirt...me trying to tell him no but not being able to speak because of the pain in my head...Draco...Draco. I remembered bits and pieces, but trying to put it all together made my head swim. All I remembered was Narcissa nursing me back to health, coaxing me to eat everyday and to accept the potions she conjured up (most of which didn't have the most pleasant taste). A small knock at my door jolted me out of my thoughts. "Feeling better today, dear?" Narcissa entered my room with a tray of food. My stomach was so hungry...when was the last time I ate a real meal?-but a wave of queasiness quickly followed. "I brewed some herbals for you this morning, fresh from the garden," she waved her hand to settle my fears. "And the house elves and I baked bread while Draco and his father were....at a meeting," she said slowly, trying not to betray them to me. I wondered if I should tell her I already knew. 

"It's okay, Mrs. Malfoy," I took a deep breath. "I know about your family. You're just like my parents are. Were," I said quickly, correcting myself. "Family doesn't betray family."

Her shoulders relaxed. "I appreciate that, sweetheart. Let me tell Draco you're awake."

"No need." Just the sound of his voice made my heart flutter. I tried to settle it as I saw his head pop around the corner. "I felt it lighten up in here for the first time in a while." Narcissa, sensing her cue, dipped her head to hide a smile, and left the tray on the nightstand. 

Excitement coursing through my veins, I ripped the bedsheets off and threw my arms around his neck. His hands hesitated at first, but found their way around my waist and he buried his face in my hair. "I thought I'd lost you, Barnes. I really did."

"Never," I pulled back to meet his eyes. "You can't get rid of me that easily, Malfoy."

He looked even better than he had the last time I'd seen him. Wearing his Slytherin Quidditch captain jacket, black pants with his signature Slytherin buckled belt, and his cologne...oh, Merlin, his cologne....he was in fact, the dreamiest guy I'd ever seen. He ran his one hand through his hair while propping himself up against the wall...making him even more attractive by the second. "Come on, Barnes, put your tongue back in your mouth. You look like a dog drooling and all that lot."

I blushed and he cracked a smile. "I'm just kidding. Unless..." he waggled his eyebrows and I rolled my eyes, punching his elbow, thanking Salazar Slytherin for seemingly letting me off the hook. "Don't get full of yourself now, Malfoy. You're the first male I've seen in about 96 hours."

"Ouch," he feigned hurt with his puppy-dog eyes. Looking at the grandfather clock in the hall, he paused and regained his stark composure. "We have a few hours until I'll see us back to Hogwarts. The next train leaves 9 and 3/4 at 2. If you're up to go back, of course. I would almost rather you stay, but I don't feel comfortable-" he stopped mid-sentence and I looked up to see what consumed him. I didn't have to search hard. Lucius' shadow was ascending the stairwell. I didn't know him at all, but from what I'd heard, he was the second scariest figure in our world, next to only the Dark Lord himself. It was hard to believe that Narcissa had married and Draco was made from such evil and such hate. It terrified me.

"With you here," he lowered his voice after Lucius had turned down the other corridor. "They know about your mother and father, Bree. The Dark Lord won't stop until he finds them, and right now, you're the closest thing they have to a map. Or something to draw them out of hiding."