6

the next day

Draco

I'd been with a lot of girls before. But everything about Bree Barnes was different. I knew that after kissing her once, my life would never be the same again. 

And even though we were getting ready to take the pitch against Hufflepuff in the first match of the season, my mind kept going back to her. "Mate, snap out of it," Zabini elbowed me. "If you keep at this, Diggory will send us back to the dungeons."

"Watch your mouth, Z," I grabbed my broom. "Don't talk about something you know nothing about."

"I'm just reminding you what matters today, man."

"And I'm just reminding you, that I'm the captain. Man." I moved past him, making sure to elbow his side on my way out. 

As we filled out to the roar of the crowd, I scanned the seats for the one face that was worth looking for. And sure enough, there she was, right in the middle, with Thornhill and Canton. She caught my eye, and winked, a smile playing at the corner of her lips. I pointed at her, just so she, and anyone else who was watching, knew who I was playing for.

____

Bree

Draco was, for lack of a better word, amazing. He played with the swiftness, agility, and calculation of no one I'd ever seen before, and you could tell that he carried not only the utmost sense of pride with him, but passion as well. He truly loved what he was doing. When he had spiraled into a sharp nosedive with Cedric Diggory, as they'd both seen the Snitch at the same time, my heart had lurched along with his broom. But when he'd resurfaced with the glistening golden wings flittering in his palms, I'd stood up on the metal rows and screamed as loud as my lungs would allow, jumping up and down in the sea of green.

"You coming to the party tonight, New Girl?" a voice from behind me was paired with a tapping on my shoulder. I turned around to see a red-robed 7th year with piercing blue eyes studying me. "Or those aren't your scene?"

"I'm sorry," I was caught off guard. "And you are?"

"Fitz." he extended his hand. "Christian Fitz."

Something about the way he stared at me made me filled with the urge to cover up. Pansy must've noticed, because she came to my rescue. "Butt out, Lion Boy," she shooed him away with her hand. "Your tricks won't work here today. And besides, neither house here likes you."

"Oh settle down, Pansy, you know you're still my number one girl," he winked at her, and she groaned in response. "That is, unless the New Girl wants to be my date to the Opening Ceremony party tonight? Or you know," he said as his hand wandered to my hair, and then reached up to stroke my face, "We could ditch the whole scene together. I was always more of an afterparty kind of guy anyway."

Suddenly, a wand was an inch deep into his throat. 

"Pull some shit like that again, Fitz," Draco growled, "And you'll be in your afterlife."

"Easy man," he grabbed Draco's wand and met his angry look with one equally as fiery. "The lady knows she's out of your league. The seed's been planted, Malfoy," he winked. "And you know I always get what I want."

"My father will hear about this," Draco spat, and he raised his wand up, "Expelliar-"

"Draco, Draco, Draco," I quickly inserted myself in between the two of them. "Hey, hey, hey, hey, look at me." His chest was heaving, and I had to keep myself from getting completely lost in the way his uniform clung to his muscular arms. "He's not worth it," I tried to steady him. "Not even a little bit."