Chapter Twenty

Thank you Love2Read16 for the picture!!

------

"Now are you going to tell me?" He was still plenty mad, but I wasn't worried that he'd attack me like Eddy had.

I shook my head. "Finn said not to."

Mikko took a deep breath. "How about you just tell me if I'm wrong then?"

"I'm pretty sure that's still cheating."

"Guessing isn't you telling me what happened. Technically it's not breaking what Finn told you to do."

He was pretty convincing...but, "No" was the answer he got.

Mikko held a hand out and ushered me to him. I hesitated because I didn't know if I could trust him. He was a sneaky jerk.

I didn't give him my hand because I was much more comfortable having my hands on my stomach to reassure myself that nothing had happened to them. My babies were still healthy and growing in me.

When I didn't reach out to his hand, he stepped closer to me. "Did something happen to the babies?"

I shook my head. "Of course not. If something had happened I'd be in a hospital, not here."

He put his hands over mine. "But something happened to you that had given you the need to protect them."

I just stared at him. I wasn't going to give him the answers he was looking for.

He brought a hand away from my stomach and kissed the knuckles there, which made me feel a little better knowing he was on my side. "Gunpowder. Anger. A lot of fear. And a trace of my brother-in-law."

He wanted me close to search for clues, not to comfort me.

I tugged my hand away from him, now mad. "You left me in the middle of the night."

He shook his head. "It was morning when I left. The sun was up and shining."

"Why did you leave?"

He took a step away from me with irritation on his face. "We're not in a relationship. It was just a little fun."

"I know we're not in a relationship, but you left me with Eddy!"

His eyes narrowed. "I left you with Jason. I don't trust Eddy."

"Jason wasn't around. If he was, he would've come to help me since you were obviously too busy to stick around."

"What did Eddy do to you?"

I shook my head and went towards the door. "Eddy didn't lay a finger on me."

"It's not Eddy's fingers I'm worried about," he seethed. "Eddy has a wandering eye, much like his father."

"Eddy is mated to your sister. Why would he be sleeping around with me? I'm obviously not enough to stick around for."

And then I felt the pain in my chest. Eddy left me for a mate and Mikko didn't even want to stay until the morning. What was so wrong with me?

"You're such a pain in my ass," he muttered. "You expect me to bring you breakfast in bed?" he snapped.

The pain in my chest throbbed. I rolled my eyes at everything in my life. What was the point? "No. I'm sorry I ruined everything for you." I walked away from him.

When I got downstairs I saw Eddy come in with the group of men that Finn had kicked out of the office not long ago. Eddy's hand was bandaged up, which meant Albert had cleaned it up. The alpha slowed down to let the group pass him. When they were all down the way, he turned to me. "I don't want you to stick around after what you've done to my son."