16. The Village in the Snow

Days have gone by with an endless amount of snow just plummeting down around me

Days have gone by with an endless amount of snow just plummeting down around me. I am lucky the two of them had left behind some furs and supplies in the cave or I would have likely frozen to death by now. This has been my uncomfortable home for nearly a week. Thankfully my bird form could spot prey easily and I was able to catch my meals that way. With many trees in the surrounding area I was able to get firewood without traveling far.

I place my hands out in front of me, feeling the warmth of the fire radiate into them. I am lucky I am the strongest of my kind because surely not many, if any others from my realm really, would be able to survive this. I shake my head and curse under my breath for what feels like the millionth time.

Whenever I catch up to the two of them I am sure going to give them both a good amount of hell. Especially to Prince Timber for bringing the princess into such a dangerous region for her. But it was a smart move on his behalf, I will give him that, albeit stupid. Prince Timber did not bank on my own tenaciousness though, He did not realize that I will take on the journey of finding her before the realms find out what has happened.

I stand up, seeing the snow begin to slow at the mouth of the cave. Thankfully, I can actually see parts of the sky now. The air seems to be getting a touch warmer too and with the temperature rising the snowfall should end soon. The moment it does I will stop at nothing to retrieve her.

I lean at the edge of the mouth of the cave, against the rock there, looking at the spot where Timber's blood had once shown bright red. I have gone over it a million times in my head, thinking of how they probably tried to take Princess Peregrine away from Prince Timber. If they had gotten ahold of her I am sure they would have blackmailed the Sky Realm. Maybe even the Land Realm as well.

As much as I hate that two lives were taken here, I am glad that Prince Timber had. The last thing we need is two nomads with the knowledge that laws were being broken by the people who were supposed to uphold them; by royals. That the Sky Realm and the Land Realm were looking at inevitable extinction as well. Without our successions, the other realms could try and take over our kingdoms.

I kick a mound of snow in anger thinking about this entire situation. As much as I wished Peregrine had stayed, that she had remained faithful to our realm, to me, her tenacity was a testament to our kind. She is headstrong and if she manages to survive this trip she is also extremely tough and resilient.

After I am able to find her, hopefully it will show her just how suited we are for one another. I also hope that I can reason with her and make her understand that us being together is what is best for our realm and Prince Timber's as well. I let out another heavy sigh because I know that will be one of my most difficult tasks yet.

✩✩✩

Almost another full week later, the snow has finally stopped raining down on the Mountain Realm. After I had finished my breakfast I had launched myself into the sky, loving the feeling of the air beneath my wings again. I hated going any duration of time without being able to shift.