2. Wanting to Change Fate

My intention upon entering Pere's bedchamber had not been where it had ultimately ended; my lips claiming hers as my own

My intention upon entering Pere's bedchamber had not been where it had ultimately ended; my lips claiming hers as my own. The moment our mouths had caressed one another's, I felt my chest swell with the pride of a million kings. There was no sensation I had experienced quite like it. I know watching her be given away to another will be the hardest thing I will ever have to do in my entire existence.

I have spent my life being her very best friend, being her confidante in all things. Now that we have grown older, I have began to hold her in a much different, intimate regard. A regard that is forbidden among the two of us. The way my heart has beat for her over the past year or so, the way it is beating at this very moment, is criminal. It is against the laws of both of our kind.

I had just barely been able to escape the room; escape what would have assuredly been persecution. Sky guards had came to escort the princess to her intended mate; their king. She would meet him in private, then the two of them would be presented as the united successors of their realm. Thankfully, the sassy Lady Wren was able to sneak me out in time. Not that I want to be privy to this event particularly, but it is expected of me. It is my duty.

"Do not look so glum, Timber," a solid hand pats my back, "it is a day for celebration. We are guests in the Sky Kingdom, a rarity for us." Gregory says, full of excitement. He is my closest friend, second to Princess Peregrine.

"Yes, maybe a celebration for the Sky Realm, but for me..." He looks at me knowingly, aware of the reason for the break in my words. "It feels more like a requiem." I take a sip off the ale in my hand, looking around at the other noble creatures.

"You and she have known this day was coming since the day you met. To think anything good would have ever come from the two of you being together was an idealistic and naive notion. You have known your fate, Timber. It has been sealed for the two of you since the day you were born." He is right. Yes, I know my fate, never in my life have I so desperately wanted to change it though. But trying to change that destiny would mean disaster for my entire realm.

"Thank you for the reminder, Gregory, but you do not need to remind me of things that I already know. I am here, am I not?" I am showing the support of my realm with my presence even though it is the last thing I want to do.

"Your demeanor alone tells me you needed the reminder. It is telling everyone here exactly how you feel about the situation." I glare at his insinuation but then he nods his head off in the direction of a certain snowy-haired female. "Princess Alaska is here. She is your intended and in just a few months time she will be of age as well. She is a beautiful creature and will bear you many heirs. What you see here tonight will be expected of you in the Land Kingdom. You will be crowned king and all will be well. Anything going on in the Sky Realm, or anyone, for that matter, will be forgotten."

"Forgotten? All will be well?" I scoff angrily at his words, throwing back the rest of my ale. "Do you even know me at all anymore? Giving up the love of my life has me the farthest thing from well, Gregory." His eyes widen incredulously at my words. "I do not want Alaska as a mate. I want Pere." I finish rather loudly, making a few royals eye me uneasily.