Part 6

I regained consciousness again in the emergency room. Doctors and nurses surrounded my bed talking to Nathaniel in urgency.

Doctor- You need to make a decision now. The Baby has gone into distress and your wife's heart beat is too erratic. It's too slow we had to give her steroids to help her heart pump normally.

"Save them both!"

"That is our plan but you need to make a decision on the worse case scenario if things go wrong in the operating theatre. We need your consent to make a consecutive decision if something goes wrong."

"No! Your job is to save them both. It's why you went to medical school."

"Your wife was aware of the complications when she decided to continue the pregnancy. We will do all we can to save them both."

"That is all I am asking Doctor."

My heart ached for the pain in my husbands voice. I closed my eyes again knowing no matter what, Nathaniel will keep his promise.

I woke to the constant sound of a monitor beeping and music filled with heart wrench..I kept trying to force myself to stay conscious and hold onto the music. The voice was so familiar to me only it sounded sad. A soft sobbing could be heard as well as someone praying. My lids parted. When my vision cleared letting me see the figures in the room who were once blurred from the drugs, I saw my Father sitting at the foot of the bed singing N'sync This I promise you in Spanish. He knew it was my fave version and after begging him to teach me how to play it on the guitar when I first heard it he decided to learn the Spanish lyrics just for me. It was one of my most cherished memories of my father and I. Now he sang it so mournfully. Noah sat on his lap hugging him with tears in his eyes looking older than his young age. Behind my father stood my brothers with their wives. My youngest bro picking on the gat softly to my father's song. Ria and Via stood on the other side of the room sobbing quietly as they listened on. Niva clinging onto Ria's neck, my mother was sitting on my left holding my hand as she continued to pray over me. I saw another figure beside her and spotted my in laws. Their heads bowed in prayer. Was I dying?.....Did I have my operation?...Where was Nathaniel???

I then felt a slight movement to my right, where a warm body laid next to me. Turning my head slightly I saw Nathaniel laying beside me cradling me in his arms as he slept. If this was my time to leave this earth I wouldn't have it any other way.

The baby! I looked down to see my stomach still as big as ever. I tried moving my mouth to speak the one thing I wanted to know the most. My movements jolted Nathaniel awake. Leaning on his elbow to support himself up he stared at me for what felt like forever. He whispered

"Baby did I hurt you?"

I nodded my head, my throat felt dry and when I tried to speak my voice was raspy.

"The baby?"

Nathaniel saw the question in my eyes. His filled with grief. 

"You need rest. I need you to regain your strength Shaye."

The way he whispered in my ear while stroking my hair felt so intimate yet most likely awkward considering the amount of people in the room but with my eyes closed I felt like it was just the two of us. I needed to know if our baby was ok.

"The baby. .."

At that moment my mother let out a sob . Nathaniel looked like a tortured soul tightening his hold on me. I stared up at the ceiling not wanting to hear what he was going to say....

"The baby is fine and stable."

My eyes welled up with relief when I heard those words. So why was everyone acting as though they were mourning if we were both stable..

"Listen to me, I need you to take back the promise I made you."

Feeling tired I was stunned at the vehemence in his voice.

"No you promised.."

"I didn't think I'd ever have to use it. It's not meant to be like this. Dammit you have me and our kids to live for. We can have another child but I will never have another you. Noah and Niva will never have a mother. They've already lost one, are you going to be so selfish as to put them through that again?"

Dad in law- Aua ne'i sii lou leo I lou koalua son.. (Don't raise your voice to your wife)

I was stunned by his outburst but I couldn't take back the promise I made him give me. This was our child. I didn't want to die and leave my babies either...Just then 3 nurses walked into my room.

Nurse 1- Hi Shaye. How are you feeling? I'm the RN on call Druphiely. 

Nurse 2- I'm Layna

Nurse3- I'm Myra..

Druphiely- You already met the night nurses last night Pue, Ida, Lee and Sieni though you were a little out of it from the pain meds.

I smiled.

"Nice to meet you all."

Druphiely- We're going to start prepping you for your second surgery. Doctor Jason Tuitala is making his rounds but he'll be in soon to explain the surgery and answer any questions you have.

They moved around the room preparing me for surgery. I stared at my husband panic stricken. Though my mind was made up I didn't want to leave him and the kids behind. 

"Shaye I'm asking you again to release me of the promise."

The doctor walked in at that moment. He spoke to my husband about what they were going to be doing in surgery. The complications that may arise and what our options were. Nathaniel squeezed my hand. We supported each other with comfort. The Doctor was nice enough to include the whole family. 

Father- Doctor before you leave..I want us to do a prayer. My daughter and grandchild's life will be in your hands. So we need God to guide you in that room and watch over them.

My siblings stood around the bed clasping hands. The doctor nodded his consent and took hold of Ria and my middle brothers hand. My father turned to the nurses who were still in the room.

Dad- Youse as well pls. Youse play a part in my daughters health.

The nurses joined the circle. We all closed our eyes as my Father began the prayer.

"Heavenly Father, we come to you today crying out for your help and grace to watch over Alessandra as she goes to surgery. Lord pour your anointing over Doctor Tuitala and cover his hands with the precious blood of the Lamb. Father we can do nothing without you. Send your Holy spirit into the room. I pray you anoint the staff in the room. Lend them your wisdom, knowledge, and understanding Father. Jesus you are the true Healer. We come to you humbly asking for forgiveness. Lend Alessandra your strength Lord. We say these things in your mighty name. Amen"

Kissing my family goodbye they all left the room letting me spend a few private minutes with my husband and kids. As the door closed we stayed silent just staring at each other. Noah and Nivs climbed onto the bed with Nathaniel. We laid just hugging each other. I never wanted this moment to end..