Part 5

Babs' POV

'I can't believe this is really happening,' I thought to myself. In front of me, down on one knee, was my long time best friend/crush/boyfriend/father of my child, Dick Grayson, who had just asked me to marry him.

When I had first fallen in love with him, I had imagined what his proposal to me would be like. I imagined him, handsome as ever, down on one knee while the whole world held its breath for my answer. The one thing I did not factor in, was that I would be holding a seven month old baby boy in my arms, but that seemed to make things even sweeter.

"Babs," Dick said quietly, looking up at me with his bright blue eyes, "will you marry me?"
I smiled at him, brought nearly to tears, "Yes."
That was the only confirmation he needed. He slipped the ring on my finger, stood up, looked straight into my eyes and kissed me passionately. Gabriel, who was still in my arms, sensed that something good was happening, and giggled. Dick and I stopped kissing and smiled at each other, looking down at our son.
"Hear that, Gabsey," Dick said, taking him from me, "your Mommy just said she'd marry me."
"Mommy!" he laughed happily, speaking one of the two words he knew how to say, "Mommy, Daddy!"
I laughed, "At least he's learning."
Dick chuckled, the moonlight that reflected off the snow glinting in his eyes, "You can say that again."

We stood on the balcony that surrounded Wayne Manor's Grand Ballroom. The ballroom was currently filled with smartly dressed guests, much like ourselves, who had come for the annual Christmas ball. Dick, being his truly romantic self, had decided to use that night to propose to me.

We stood there for a while longer, with his arm around my waist and his head on my shoulder. Gabriel was snuggled between us, swiftly falling asleep.

Snow began to fall gently around us, and I wrapped my jacket tighter around both myself and Gabriel. I couldn’t afford for him to get sick. Dick noticed this and he glanced over at the two of us.
“Come on,” he said, “ I think we should go inside.”

Dick’s POV

Babs nodded and the three of us walked back through a pair of large doors into the ballroom, making our way through the crowd in order to put Gabriel to bed. He had fallen asleep against Babs while we had been outside, and I thought it would be better if we put him to bed instead of carrying him around all evening, where he was bound to be disturbed.

Gabriel had a cot in the room Babs and I shared at the manor, making it easily accessible to us if he awoke during the night.

After navigating our way through the crowd, having to stop to talk to multiple people along the way who were all either inquiring about Gabriel or fussing over his sleeping form, we made it to our bedroom.

The room was clothed in darkness, so I switched on the bedside light. Babs, still dressed in her evening gown, gently laid Gabriel down in the cot besides the bed. I walked over to her as she tucked him snugly into the blankets. I smiled at him. He had recently taken to sucking his thumb while he slept, and Babs had dressed him in blue, a color that complemented his eyes. She was dressed in emerald green, which matched her eyes as well.
“Come on,” I said,”I’ll ask Alfred to check on him every few minutes. Why don’t we have some fun. Just the two of us?”
Babs smiled at me, “What exactly do you have in mind?”
“Come with me,” I replied.

We spent a good hour or so in a special spot in the garden I had found a few years previously while still living at the manor. It was hidden away behind a clump of thorny rose bushes and sheltered beneath some trees, but if you knew the hidden way in, it was the perfect place. Although it was covered by trees, it still had one particular spot that was perfect for stargazing.