Part 2

Dick's POV

"So," Bruce said, "does this mean you're willing to join the team again?"

I shrugged, "Yeah, sure. I'm not against it."

He gave me a ghost of a smile, "Alright then. Meet me at the hall of Justice this afternoon. I want to speak to you and Kaldur about something."

"Alright," I replied.

Soon enough there was a knock on the Manor's front doors.

"I wonder who that could be," Alfred mused.

Babs grinned. I was glad. I hadn't seen her smile since I'd returned.

"Don't worry, Alf," she said, "I'll get it, if Dick would come with me?"

"Sure," I replied.

Wally's POV

"What do you think Babs needs us for?" I asked Artemis, my wonderful girlfriend.

"I don't know," she shrugged, "you know what those Bats are like."

I nodded in agreement, just before the large doors were opened by none other than the red-head herself. She grinned at us before turning to someone behind us.

"Okay," she said, "you can open your eyes now."

Babs stepped aside to reveal the one and only, Dick Grayson.

"Wally?!"

Dick's POV

"Wally?!" I said, surprised.

"Dick!" he cried in response, embracing me in a hug, which I returned, "It's so good to see you!"

"You too, Wally," I replied, smiling at him.

"We'll, I guess that answers that question," came a feminine voice from besides Wally.

I grinned, "Hey, Arty."

"Hey, Dick," she smirked, "how you been?"

"Alright," I said, "considering things."

"Do you guys want to come inside?" Babs asked, amused, "or are you going to stand on the doorstep for the rest of the day?"

The morning went quickly, and soon I had to leave for the hall of Justice. Saying goodbye to Wally and Artemis, I entered the Batcave once again, fully dressed in my Nightwing suit and mask. I planned to use the zeta beams to get there, but using my hologlove, I made one quick adjustment before I left. Once that was done, I was just about to leave when Babs called to me. I turned back towards her.

"I," she said, "I just wanted to wish you good luck."

I smiled broadly at her, "Thanks Babs. Look after the boys for me while I'm gone, will you?"

She smirked, "But of course."

Her emerald green eyes sparkled in the cave's dim lighting, and she smirked in amusement.

"You know," she said, coming and leaning in my chest, "I think I prefer this to tights and a bright yellow cape."

"Oh really?"

"Yes, really."

She smiled up at me again, before pecking me on the cheek, turning around and heading back up to the manor. I smiled to myself before heading to the hall of Justice through the zeta beam.

2 months later

"So," Babs said, "curling up to me on our sofa," what do you have planned for the team tomorrow?"

I chuckled, "You know I can't tell you that. Can't let the team think that their leader has favorites."

"But I am your girlfriend," she smirked, "surely I have some perks."

I smiled at her, "But the team doesn't know that. As far as they're concerned, Batgirl is dating Dick Grayson, not Nightwing."

"Fine," she relented, "I'll just wait until tomorrow to find out your stupid secret."

I tensed slightly. Secrets. I was keeping so many of them from everyone recently, including Babs. I wondered what she would do when she found out that I had faked her best friend's death, only to send her undercover with the enemy. And, on top of that, there was also the fact that Kaldur was undercover as well. I hated keeping things from her, but the fewer people who knew, the better.

2 months later

'No,' I thought, 'This can't be happening. I'm dreaming. I'm in a nightmare.' 

But I wasn't. Wally was gone. Really gone. There was no coming back from this death. I stood in complete shock as I watched Artemis crying against Babs' shoulder, a few tears dripping down her face. It was my fault. I was the leader. I was supposed to plan for contingencies and avoid them, but I had failed. Wally was gone, and he was not coming back.

"Babs," I said, later that afternoon, "Can I speak to you for a moment?"

She looked towards me.

"Yeah," she said, stepping besides me to the side of the room, "what's up?"

"I, I need a break."

She looked at me in confusion, "What do you mean?"

"I'm leaving the team," I said, quietly, "I'm going back to Bludhaven."

"What?" she uttered, "What about...us?"

I gave her a gentle smile, "I love you, Babs," I said, "so much so that I can't put it into words. But, I just need to get away for a while. I just need a break. I'll return to you, I promise."

She gave me a sad smile, "Alright. I understand."

I hugged her, "Thank you."

In that moment, both of us forgot about the team and secret identities. I kissed her passionately before turning and leaving through the zeta beams.

Babs' POV

I looked on at where Dick had left for a moment more, tears welling in my eyes, before turning back to the team. They were staring at me in shock.

"I," Cassie stuttered, "I thought you were dating Dick Grayson."

"I am," I replied simply, before turning to leave the way Dick had gone. I hadn't told Dick about my little secret, but he needed some time to breathe. I would tell him when he was ready.

868 words

Here's another part. I hope you enjoy 😊