Chapter 6 [english girl]

"We don't know each other, okay?"

I shot him a deadly glare and quickly muttered those words before taking a step back.

Fortunately, he's sharp-witted that's why he instantly understood where I was leading. However, that didn't stop him from uttering larks.

Hinawakan niya ang kaniyang dibdib at yinukos ang kaniyang mukha, nagpapanggap na nasasaktan. "Grabe ka naman maka-deny sa'kin, neighbor. Parang wala tayong pinagsamahan," he said, faking his pain.

I rolled my eyes. What an overly dramatic guy.

Hindi na ako sumagot at nanatili na lamang sa kaniyang likuran. Hinayaan ko siyang maunang humakbang. Nagbigay ako ng sapat na distansya sa pagitan naming dalawa upang hindi maghinala si Ate Summer. Mas magiging komplikado lamang ang mga bagay-bagay kapag nalaman niya na magkakilala kaming dalawa. I want her to think that my neighbor is foreign to my eyes because that would mean less questions from her.

"Guian, bunso!" Ate Summer exclaimed. She spread her arms, waiting for him to come and accept her hug.

Agad kumunot ang aking noo.

Bunso? Magkapatid sila?

If I remember it correctly, Ate Summer does have a younger brother. Although I don't know his name because I never asked about her personal details. Three years of working for them simply weren't enough to strike interest for me to ask about their family life. She just happened to have shared that information with me before when she visited the office.

But inferring from their last names, I don't think that they are siblings. Ate Summer's maiden last name is Trenton, while his is Lopez. Additionally, according to my sister, Ate Summer's family is here in the Philippines because her brother got married last April. That all the more solidifies my conclusion that they're not blood-related.

My neighbor neared her side and received the hug. I was still a few steps away when I saw them chuckling. He said something that made her smile at first, and now she can't stop cackling.

When she saw me, she made a step forward and welcomed me. "Calli, it's been so long!" she declared, going to my side.

"It has been," I echoed flatly, nodding my head.

"We missed you! When are you visiting Canada again?"

My chest tightened when I heard those words from her. I don't know if it's because she said they missed me or because of the mention of that country.

Mahina akong umiling. "I'm not sure," I lied.

Truth is, I don't want to come back to that place again. The years I spent there were nothing but hellish. And until now, the memories of everything that happened while I was there still haunt me—as if they only happened yesterday.

She nodded her head slowly, taking in my answer. "Oh," she suddenly snapped. Taking a step back, she introduced the guy behind her. "Calli, this is Guian. Guian, this is Calli."

My neighbor smirked and offered his right hand to me. "Hello, Calli," aniya, habang binibigyang diin ang pagtawag sa aking pangalan. Bakas ang panunuya sa tono ng kaniyang pananalita. Palibhasa ay hindi ko siya hinahayaang tawagin ako sa pangalang ito. I prefer that he remains a stranger and that he calls me either on a last or first name basis. But never my second name. Calli is reserved for family, friends, and officemates.

I caught myself offguard. Looking at his arm hanging loose in front of me doesn't give me many options but to take it.

"Hi . . ." I trailed softly, not wanting to mention his name. Dahil nasa amin ang mga mata ni Ate Summer, wala akong magawa kung hindi tanggapin ang kaniyang kamay.