Chapter 21 [it's okay]

He remained quiet and only looked at me with those almond eyes. I can tell that behind his vacant stare is a mind that wants to question why—which isn't exactly surprising because he is the type who spends half his time catechizing a person when something doesn't sit well with him. He only shuts up after satisfying his curious mind.

It took him long enough before he parted his lips to speak.

"Nandito lang ako, ha," he softly reminded me while his eyes are still on me. He spoke genuinely and solemnly.

My heart ached after hearing him say that.

Out of all the things he could have uttered, he hand-picked those four words. Not why? Not what happened? Not what do you what to do? Rather, he chose to remind me that I have him. Even when he doesn't have an idea why I'm feeling down. Even when he doesn't know where all this burden is coming from.

And those spoke more volume to me.

"T-thank you," I answered, still trying to compose myself.

I heard him take in a deep breath. The corners of his lips slowly formed into a small smile before saying, "Let's go home."

Mabagal lamang akong tumango.

I am usually a fast walker but because of what happened, I'm just basically dragging myself from one point to another. It's as if there are chains latched on my ankle and I'm slowly hauling myself away.

He walked on my right side, quietly and unhurriedly, too. He became surprisingly silent again and he hasn't said a single word since we started walking together.

When we reached his car, he opened the back door for me and waited until I got in.

I faintly scooched inside and rested my head on the window. I usually sit on the right side, but this time, I remained on the left; because I entered from this side and I'm too exhausted to move now.

He started the car's engine. Before putting on his seatbelt, he fixed the nozzle of the air conditioner and pointed it in my direction. Without saying anything.

This guy is really a wonder sometimes.

I looked outside and sighed.

Naramdaman ko ang paggalaw ng sasakyan. Hudyat ito upang ipahinga ko rin ang aking mga mata.

I badly wanted to sleep because my entire being feels tired. However, hunger pangs are keeping me from dozing off completely. There's a gnawing feeling in my abdomen and my head is throbbing—making me feel slightly nauseous.

After driving for a few minutes, the car finally stopped. I opened my eyes and saw that we're already in front of the building where Atom is working.

I straightened my back to alleviate the headache.

When Atom arrived, she greeted us with a rather calm good evening and a friendly but serene smile. Which was very weird, considering that she's usually high in spirit and loud. Nonetheless, I welcomed the situation, no matter how odd it is.

"Sana hindi traffic nga—" Atom was in the middle of fixing her seatbelt while talking but she stopped mid-sentence and looked at me apprehensively. "That didn't sound good," she commented with a concerned look. "You must be starving!"

My stomach just made a loud rumbling noise, drawing both of their attention.

I hugged my tummy and swallowed.

"No, I'm not," I lied. But I couldn't hide the wince on my face when my abdomen ached again.

Kaninang tanghali ko pa tinitiis ang sakit na ito. Kinaya ko naman. Ngunit bakit ngayon na nandito sila tsaka pa ito lumala?