Chapter 47

THE TIME HAD COME to leave Cornelius.

Aura was not pleased. Her hands shook as she zipped her last bag, looking over at the room she took possession of when she made it there. It was cleaned of any trace of her presence, polished and organized to perfection. The one thing that stood out the most was the vanity Tyson made her to keep on creating her makeup looks with a much better mirror.

She bit down on her lip and stared at it before turning her back to it and leaving the room. Her heart ached as her father announced that their ride had arrived.

A cold emptiness settled inside her stomach as she reached for Grandma Ruby. She hugged her tight as tears escaped her eyes. 

"Oh, baby, don't make me all sad now," Grandma Ruby said. "Now don't forget about your grandma and call all the time, alright? I'm looking forward to the next time you come here."

Aura nodded, unable to articulate words. Grandma Ruby reached out and wiped away at her tears, giving her a small, sad smile.

"Go kick ass at the makeup, baby." She gave her a wink, and Aura laughed.

"I love you, Grandma," Aura said, giving her another hug before stepping away. She walked her out of the house, standing by the doorframe as her son loaded the back of the Uber with their bags.

Aura waved lamely before walking down the steps, already handing her father the rest of her bags. Her mother went over to Grandma Ruby for some more goodbyes.

"Ari?"

She closed her eyes, but turned to the one person who could make her break in that moment.

Before she could say anything back, he wrapped his arms around her, pulling her into a tight hug. She didn't mind and buried her face into his chest.

"I wish we had more time," Tyson whispered in her ear.

She nodded, ruffling her hair against his shirt. She wanted to stay in his arms forever, but alas her father called her. They needed to leave if they wanted to catch their flight on time.

Aura pulled away from the embrace, gazing up at Tyson.

"Stay in touch?" she suggested.

"Yeah," he whispered.

She stepped away, wiping at her eyes, and got into the car beside her mother. Her father closed her door and sat up front. They all waved at Grandma Ruby one last time as they drove away. She turned her body to the side, craning her neck to catch a last glimpse of the boy who stole her heart in the summer.

 She turned her body to the side, craning her neck to catch a last glimpse of the boy who stole her heart in the summer