Chapter 25

TYSON TOLD MRS. SMITH that he was going to hang out with Aura, to which she smirked at but bid them a farewell. Aura trembled like a chihuahua as they filed out of the house. He wondered what she would do for a makeup look, but she didn't dare open her mouth, fearing what could come out of it.

He kept on speaking, giving her outrageous ideas.

Maybe Mrs. Smith was wrong. Tyson didn't seem to like her like that.

"I'm not painting a pineapple on my face, Tyson," she finally said, scratching her head as they climbed up the front steps to Grandma Ruby's house. "I will do a fantasy look though."

Tyson grinned. "Whatever you do, I'll be happy to watch."

AURA SAT AT THE sleek vanity, her eyes drinking up the new workspace. Finally, she opened up her makeup kit, ready to get to work. A bubbling giddiness rose through her as she stared at her at a tiny bottle of blue glitter.

Her mother had gone on a rant saying that it was stupid for her to bring some of her makeup to the other side of the country when they were there for vacation. But her idea of vacation was incredibly boring, so she was glad she went against her wishes. She had more than enough time to play with her limited amount of makeup.

"So, what are you gonna do?" Tyson asked. He sat on her bed, scooting away from the leak.

She smiled, showing him the blue glitter. "I'm gonna go crazy." She studied the blue flecks that twinkled in the light, already getting an idea.

It seemed fitting after everything she'd experienced in Cornelius that she'd try for that type of look. She thought about going for a cute approach or a scary approach. Biting down her lips, she thought about doing a mix of cute and scary. Nothing too horror-like, but not something a little girl would wear to go trick or treating either.

After collecting all of the materials she needed, she cleared her space in order to be comfortable to work. She tied her hair back in a lazy messy bun, pretending not to notice how Tyson stared from his place on her bed.

Mrs. Smith's words replayed in her head nonstop. She bit down on her lip as she scooped some primer with her nail. She rubbed it into her skin, careful not to be too rough and sat back to look at her reflection.

Her cheeks were flushed as she remembered Mrs. Smith's confession. That meant that the man sitting right behind her was in love with her.

Her stomach twisted.

Tyson Smith was her friend, her first friend. He had always been there when she was a child. They ran around in their diapers, screeching like hyenas. They had been a force to be reckoned with. She held those memories near and dear to her heart, but knowing that he actually had feelings for her... She couldn't imagine it to be true, but then again, there he was, sitting on her bed waiting for her to start working her makeup magic.

What guy in their right mind would care enough to watch her do her makeup? Not even the ones that begged to be with her cared about what she did. They saw it as a girl thing, even when she told them she had met many guys in cosmetology school. Double standards existed, and they were keen on keeping them going. Not Tyson. He wanted to see Aura do what she did best, no matter what society said about it.

Her heart thundered as she mixed in a silver highlight to her foundation. Her skin tone was more on the golden side, but she wanted to do something more cool-toned with all the blue involved. Her fingers shook as she mixed it all together, feeling Tyson's brown eyes on her the whole time.

She gulped as she started putting her foundation mix on her face. She blended it with her favorite brush since she was too lazy to get up and wet her sponge. She blended it all until everything was seamless. When she finished, she applied concealer and powder as usual.