Chapter 15

"G, YOU WOULDN'T EVEN believe he was real," Aura gushed.

She sat by the front door, legs tucked under her as she stared at the uneventful street in front of her. She had already eaten her lunch, so she was waiting a bit to start getting ready for her party. However, she couldn't leave without updating Gwenn. Her best friend needed to know what was going on in good ol' Cornelius.

"I cannot believe you managed to find another boy," Gwenn said. Aura could almost see her shake her head.

"Um, this one found me. It doesn't count." She giggled thinking back on Zachary and how he first made a move. It always excited her when guys were fearless enough to take the first step. She admired the bravery. Some guys took it too far and were borderline gross, but some knew how to move around a woman. Zachary seemed to know how to dance all around and hit all the right steps.

Aura couldn't wait to see him again.

"Still. Only you would manage to live out a summer romance fantasy."

"Oh, God, do you think it could turn into a romance? I mean, I wouldn't mind, I do like that he's already taking me places. Like come on... A party at one of the renowned rich beach clubs here? Sign me up!"

Gwenn laughed. "You are definitely something else, A. Ooh! Zilla's here. Wait, don't leave. I'll put you on speaker and you can keep talking about this mysterious Zachary man."

Aura squealed and heard as Gwenn opened the door to her apartment to let Zilla inside.

"Z, Aura is on the phone. She got a new man."

"What!" Zilla squeaked.

Aura laughed, and then Gwenn announced she was put on speaker. So she started talking about everything. She recalled the quaint coffee shop, her boredom, Zachary coming up to her, the flirting (they both gasped), and how he invited her to a party at a rich beach club. It was like the universe felt bad for stripping off her opportunity with Lacey Redd and wanted her to have a good summer vacation with a good dose of Zachary McBane.

"Shut up, A!" Zilla exclaimed. "So what are you gonna do at this party? Please don't get hammered like Gwenn did that last time."

"Oh, hush!" Gwenn retorted.

"I won't get drunk. You know that's not how I am. But I am looking forward to enjoying my night with Zachary. Who knows who else he can introduce me to?"

"Oh my God," Gwenn started. "Are you seriously thinking of trying to take advantage of this man?" Zilla gasped at her words. It wasn't the first time she would go the taking advantage route.

Aura bit down on her lip. "Look, I'm going to have a good time. If by any chance he can help me move forward after what happened with Lacey Redd, I'm all for it."

"Okay, but all you know is that he's rich," Gwenn said. "How can that help you move forward as a makeup artist? Do you think he knows anyone in that industry?"

Aura scratched her head in thought. "I don't know, but I do know that if I post a picture with him at that glamorous beach club, my feed is going to get traction, which means more exposure. Also, you never know who I can bump into at the club."

"Probably just a bunch of men with their trophy wives, A," Zilla commented. "But I guess the whole publicity idea is thought out, if he's as cute as you make him sound."

"Oh, trust me. This man is what Greek gods were meant to look like."

Aura remembered those deep blue eyes that beckoned her. She was enticed with just one stare. That chiseled jaw, angel-shaped lips, and proportionate nose were just the cherry on top to his handsomeness. It didn't help that he seemed to be built nicely.

She couldn't wait to see him all dressed up at the party.

They both chuckled at the other end of the phone call.

"Well, I gotta go. I need to start my transformation if I want Zachary all over me."

"Have fun and be careful, A!" Gwenn said. Zilla agreed. Aura said her goodbyes and hung up the phone.

For a second, she stared up at the sky wanting to feel a minute of peace. The sun shone down on her face as it started making its way to the west. A nice breeze kicked up some dirt and she had to blink away tears as they grazed her eyes.

"So, you're gonna go to a stupid party, huh?"

Aura turned to find Tyson leaning against the side of Grandma Ruby's house. He stuffed his hands in his pockets as he stared her down with those deep brown eyes.

"Uh," Aura cleared her throat, "yeah, I was invited before I knew about the barbecue."

"So you'd rather go to a party with a spoiled brat than spend time with people who treat you like family?" He asked, taking his hands off his pockets and crossing his arms in front of his chest.

"You don't know if he's a spoiled brat," Aura whispered.

Tyson chuckled. "What's his name, Ari?"

"Zachary McBane."

He snorted, looking out at the abandoned house in the corner. "You are going to regret ever linking with him."

Aura sighed and shook her head. Why was everyone against Zachary? Even her father, who didn't even know him, was against him. She didn't see anything wrong with him. If he really was so awful, she would've realized on the spot. But she had met a handsome gentleman, not a spoiled brat.

"Look, Tyson, I was invited to go to a party at The Siren Beach Club. I'm going." She stood up, dusting her bottom.

"Nana is going to be upset. She's been asking for you since you guys got here." Tyson pursed his lips, squinting as sun rays attacked his line of vision. If it weren't for the fact that he was trying to guilt trip her, she would've been admiring how great he looked under the warmth of the sun, so she shut all such thoughts deep in her mind.

"Seriously? I can go see her whenever I want. A barbecue isn't the only time to socialize." Aura scoffed. Tyson was being unreasonable. It wasn't her fault she was invited to the party first. Had she been told about the barbecue beforehand she would've understood why he was so disapproving, but that wasn't the case.

He muttered something under his breath, but Aura didn't quite catch it. Regardless, she wasn't keen on knowing more about what he thought of her leaving to go to a party. She knew enough, and he was not on her side. She didn't want to continue arguing because if she did, she would have to take less time to get ready when she was hoping to look her absolute best.

She was going to bring the glamour, and Tyson wasn't going to stop her from doing so.

"I gotta go," she said, already turning to enter the house. "Tell Mrs. Smith that I'm looking forward to seeing her this week."

Aura left Tyson there and walked inside, resisting the urge to look back.