Chapter 39

THE SUMMER NEARED ITS end when Tyson invited her to a beach hang-out with the rest of her past childhood friends. She had a week left before going back to Lockfell, so she soaked up every chance she got to enjoy Tyson and Grandma Ruby.

Thus far, she had loved doing Grandma Ruby's makeup. Every time she had a doctor's appointment, she would ask to make her look pretty. Aura would always fight her, saying she was beautiful with or without makeup. Her time with her grandmother was precious, and she treasured their memories of sassy comebacks, cheesy soap operas, lots of lemonade, and makeup time forever.

Her parents weren't so keen on her going out so much since they didn't have much time left to spend with Grandma Ruby. Guilt squeezed her heart as she stared at her elderly grandmother, knowing full well they were right. She should stay in with her and spend every last second with her.

"Oh, please!" Grandma Ruby grouched. "Baby, go have fun. Your little boyfriend is waiting on you, so go enjoy your youth. Once you lose it, you never get it back. When you come back, you tell me all about it. How about that?"

Aura grinned and threw her arms around her grandmother. She chuckled, cupping her face with her wrinkled hands.

"Now don't get into any trouble, alright?" She gave Aura a pointed stare.

"I won't," Aura promised. She nodded and let her go. Her parents remained silent as she said her goodbyes and slipped out of the house.

Tyson leaned on one of the porch columns, hands inside his pockets. He smiled once he saw her and opened his arms for her to walk into. She snuggled into his side as he led her into the street, the moon guiding them on their way.

JUNIPER JUMPED INTO AURA'S arms once they got there. She dressed in her usual shorts and tee with her braids flowing down her back. Her smile brightened the night as she led them to the others, all sitting around a fire pit.

Daniel bopped his head to music coming out from his phone while Corey rolled his eyes, drinking a beer. Sofía roasted a marshmallow over the fire, squealing as it got burnt.

"Sofía, the poor marshmallow!" Juniper laughed as she pouted. "Here, let me do it."

Aura and Tyson greeted everyone and sat by the fire, together. Corey quirked a brow at their linked hands, but she didn't say anything. She wasn't sure how Tyson felt about spreading whatever they had going on, so she would continue with life as usual.

"Aura, girl, summer's almost over," Corey said, and then took a swig of his beer. "Are you going to be leaving soon or has someone convinced you to stay?"

Her heart hammered in her ears thinking about the moment she had to leave Cornelius. The absolute irony. Weeks before she was angry that she needed to go there, and now she didn't know how she could leave the place without a gaping hole in her soul. She wished to put Grandma Ruby and Tyson in a bag and take them with her to California.

"No, I leave in a few days," Aura confessed. The rest of the group awed, with Daniel slapping his thighs in disdain for good measure. Juniper passed her a s'more, which she grabbed gratefully.

The sweetness overwhelmed her taste buds, but she wasn't complaining. Knowing that it was her last week there brought a bitter taste, so she was glad to counteract it with a lot of sugar.

"Man, that sucks," Daniel said. "I wish we could've gone out more."

"Yeah, same," Sofía piped up after successfully getting her first marshmallow toasted without burning it. "At least we made good memories though."

Aura smiled sadly, munching on the melted marshmallow, chocolate, and graham cracker. They had hung out a lot on many occasions. Going out to local cafés, buying food and eating it at Mrs. Smith's yard, or just walking around the neighborhood causing trouble. Well, Corey caused most of the trouble, earning many disapproving yells from some of the older folk. (Although they wouldn't admit it, they all loved Corey Jefferson dearly).