Hope - Chapter 22

-22-

It is just an average day, until we have an unexpected visitor. I am in the throne chamber with Alec, Jane, Aro, Marcus and Caius when Gianna lets a vampire in - I remember Demitri telling me about her. This was Irina from the odd coven in Denali that feeds from animals. 

“I have to report a crime,” She states. “It involves the Cullens.”

Alec and Jane place a hand on my restraining me as I curl my lip and snarl at the name. 

Aro is in front of her and takes her hand. A few seconds later his wide eyes look back to us, “Oh my.” 

“What is it, Aro?” Caius asks. 

“It seems my dear friend, Carlisle, has broken the most important rule of them all.”

“What is that?” I ask not bothering to hide the venom in my voice. 

“They created an immortal child.” 

“We must take action.” 

“Immediate action.”

“Thank you for your information. You will be staying here as custom and come with us when we find the culprits.” 

“But-”

“You’ve reported a serious crime and you will stay with us until we have analyzed the severity of this crime,” Aro explains. 

“How young was the child?” 

“About eight or nine,” Irina answers. 

Aro turns to Alec, Jane and I, “All of you, get the wives and the rest of the guard. We will discuss this further and then plan our attack once everyone is here.” 

________________________________________________

The snow had already blanketed the ground and powdered all the trees, bushes, and other greenery.  As we marched through the state, there was no wild life. They sensed us, they knew to fear us, they knew what was coming. Justice. 

Those Cullens thought they could get away with anything. Didn’t they know better? Did they have no regards for the rules? For the Volturi? 

I knew they were a vicious bunch of vampires. They tried to hide it by feeding off of animals instead of the rest of us ‘savages’ who drank the blood of humans. I knew the truth. They killed my parents, and passed it off as a car crash trying to make my parents look foolish and irresponsible. Then, they tried to kill me, but at least the Volturi were able to save me. 

It was going to come down to a fight and I was plotting who I would go after. Jane called dibs on Edward, Dimitri wanted to go after Emmett, and Heidi called dibs on Rosalie. I was planning on going after Alice or Jasper. 

We knew they would be waiting for us. As we got closer, I wasn’t that surprised that they had assembled a small army of their own. Nomad vampires accompanied them from the scents I picked up. A very sour, rotten scent made my nostrils flare and I knew that there was one other component to their army. I couldn’t place the scent with any face - vampire or human. What was it? 

“They have pesky shape shifters with them,” Aro warns. “They have tried to attack our kind multiple times, but the Cullens have manipulated them into killing us. We must defeat them.” 

I decide I’ll take on the bigger challenge of going after a shape shifter instead of Alice or Jasper. As we enter the clearing I search for my targets. I spot Jasper, but Alice is nowhere in sight. She isn’t even in the area. That is very odd. I spot a wolf flanking Edward and Bella, it had the child on its back.