Chapter Five

Frank's POV

All around me was an encompassing blackness, I could feel the ground beneath my feet, but I couldn't see it - I couldn't see anything besides for my own body, which seemed to glow with a white light.

In the distance, I could hear the soft sound of someone crying; the desire to find them and soothe their tears away became overwhelming, even though I had no idea who it was. I hated when other people were sad, it hurt me, even if I had nothing to do with it.

Tentatively, I began walking, nervous about the possibility of tripping over unseen obstacles, but when the floor remained smooth, I quickened my pace. I knew I was headed in the right direction because the sobs were growing louder with every step I took.

A faint glow became apparent to my straining eyes, and I broke out into a full on run. Huddled on the floor was a dark haired boy clothed all in black, crying his eyes out as if all of the tragedies of the world rested on his shoulders.

"Hey - are you okay?" I asked nervously, even thought it was beyond obvious that he wasn't okay, I mean - most people don't collapse in tears when everything is perfectly fine.

"Frank?" And with that one word, I recognized the broken figure as none other than Gerard Way.

"Gerard - what's wrong?" I knelt down next to him and gathered him against my chest in what I hoped was a comforting hug.

"I'm so alone..." Gerard sniffled sadly, and my heart broke at his words.

"You're not alone anymore, I'm here." I began stroking his hair in an attempt to soothe him as he continued to sob into my t-shirt. As I held him, the darkness in wherever we were began to abate, and I was able to see clearly for the first time. There were other figures surrounding us in a loose circle, staring down at Gerard and I with disgust painted on their faces.

"I told you to stay away from the slut..." Pete stepped forward out of the group, and Gerard flinched violently in my arms.

"He isn't worth your time." Mikey walked up next to Pete, not even bothering to glance down at his brother.

"Leave him alone you guys!" I cried out, my voice reverberating strangely in the open space.

"Slut...slut...slut..." Everyone began to chant, and Gerard shrunk down against me, trying to hide from their words which brought him just as much pain as a knife wound. I clutched him as tightly as I could in a futile effort to protect him.

"Frank honey - wake up! You have your dentist appointment in an hour." And just like that, I snapped back into reality, but the vivid dream stayed with me, instead of fading away like so many dreams do.

As I pulled myself out of bed and got dressed hastily, making sure to brush my teeth so the dentist wouldn't have to deal with my morning breath, I couldn't shake my thoughts of Gerard.

Why was I dreaming of a guy I barely knew? Nothing like this had ever happened to me before, and it was a strange and exhilarating experience. Was I falling under Gerard's spell like Mikey said? No - that was ridiculous, Gerard wasn't a wizard, and he had barely even talked to me. This was something else, and I wanted to figure out what it was.

There was just something alluring about Gerard, and it wasn't just his good looks - that was for sure. He seemed so confident and self-assured, but I just had this sense that, deep down, he was broken, and I wanted to be the one to fix him. I realized that I sounded like a delusional girl talking about her abusive boyfriend, but that wasn't the case at all.

I didn't necessarily want to date Gerard, especially not if he was just going to try and sleep with me and then dump me. I just wanted to get to know him - the real him, not the facade he put on for everyone else.