Chapter 42: Base Acid

Chapter 42

Base Acid

I hurried upstairs after arriving home from tutoring. I had three hours to decide whether or not to show up. Comrade and Ricky would be there, but honestly what college student would want to hang out with a high schooler. Biting my fingernail, I glanced at my phone. Spending the night talking to Titus really wasn't a bad alternative. We could have the "omega" talk I've been avoiding the last couple days.

I groaned and rolled over onto my stomach. I'm not going. Chris didn't just give out tickets to people he doesn't like. When we were still friends, half the time he won't even invite me to this kind of things. Mostly because my mother said no.

Turning to my back, I banged my head on my pillow. This shouldn't even be that hard of a decision.

"I'm not going," I whispered, closing my eyes. It's that simple.

My phone buzzed at my side. Titus must have gotten done with his chores early. I glanced at the screen but didn't recognize the number. I opened up the message and froze.

Hey this is Chris. I'm giving you a ride.

My heart was pounding. Putting the phone down, I climbed out of bed and sat down at my desk. I could just pretend I didn't get it. His number was blocked, so who's ever phone he's using, I can say didn't have the right number. I sunk down in my desk chair. I should have told my parents to change my number.

The phone started buzzing again.

I rolled over in my chair and pressed on the message.

Reply now.

No. I would not let him push me around. I didn't have to, and I wasn't going to listen to him anymore.

Now.

I grabbed the phone and typed a reply.

I can't go. My mom won't let me.

Sneak out around 10. Walk to Katy's house. I'll pick you up.

My hands were sweating. Yes, I've done it before. And yes, Chris had convinced me to do a lot stupider things, but that was the old Chris. The one that didn't hate me, push me into lockers, and give me death stares.

I typed one word and pressed send. Flopping down on my bed, I hid my face. I really was the stupidest person in existence.

***

I was asking to get hurt. Even if Chris was just going to give me a ride, with my luck, my parents would find out I snuck out, and I'd be grounded, yet again. I was such an idiot.

I glanced back at my house down the road. If I ran back now, I could hide in my room and tell my mom that I was sick Monday, then I wouldn't have to face him. Until Tuesday...

Why couldn't Chris just move or transfer schools?

Headlights were approaching. My breath caught and stood still. The red jacket I was wearing should be enough for them to see me. My pocket started to buzz.  I took it out and opened Titus's message.

So... can we talk or not?

The car was starting to slow down. I hurried and typed a reply.

I'm going to the concert. I'll call you tomorrow.

The truck stopped. Chris was behind the wheel with Katy in the passenger seat, fixing her makeup in the mirror. He rolled down his window.

"You showed. Hop in."

I opened the door and climbed inside. Neither one said anything as we started down the road. I shouldn't have done this. I felt sick. This was worse than running off to werewolf territory.