Chapter 50: You're Grounded

Chapter 50

You’re Grounded

“This is going to be bad.”

“Probably,” replied my father.

I bit my lip, staring at the door to the house. “She not going to take it well.”

My father laughed. “Who ever does?”

With an excited sigh, my mother entered the garage. “Well, let’s be off.”

My shoulders dropped, and I stepped to the side as my father put the last of the luggage in the trunk.

“Are you sure we shouldn’t be taking the truck?” ask my mother as she opened the passenger side door.

“Xavier said the roads have been plowed, and we’ll be fine in the car.”

“Aden.”

“Yeah,” I replied, grabbing the back door handle.

“Did you remember everything? All your snow clothes?” She looked me over. “Hopefully you packed something a bit heavier than what you have on.”

“My coats in the car.” I climbed inside and grabbed it up.

“Just checking, sweetheart. Don’t want you getting sick the week before you go to school.”

We put on our seatbelts, and my dad back out the car. This was going to be horrible. I just knew it. My mom was going to have a mental breakdown, and me and Titus were over. It wasn’t like Xavier was going to stand up to my mother to help us.

“Aden?” asked my mother.

“Yeah,” I kept my head down, ringing my hands in my lap.

“Is something the matter?” She turned around in her seat. “You’re looking a little pale.” Reaching back, she pressed the back of her hand to my face.

“I’m fine,” I piped.

“Hmmm…. you don’t feel warm. Are your nerves getting to you?”

I nodded slowly.

She shook her head. “I’ve already met them, Aden. There’s nothing to worry about.” She flashed me a smile. “Besides, this week should be fun. It’s like going to a cabin in the woods. So festive.”

“Yeah,” I breathed, feeling any optimism I had drop into my stomach.

“Did you remember Titus’s Christmas present?”

“It’s in the back.”

“I think he’ll like them a lot.” She flipped down her vision to put on some chapstick.

“I hope.”

Taking a deep breath, I sunk into my seat. I was hoping for a lot of things during this trip.

***

My dad stopped outside a gate, guarded by two men.

“Where on earth do these people live,” muttered my mother as one of the guards went to my father’s window.

My dad rolled it down.

“Perri’s?” asked the man. He did a quick scan of the car.

“Yes,” said my father.

“ID.”