Chapter 66: Shots Fired

Chapter 66

Shots Fired

I felt sick. Taking in slow breath, I laid my head back against the pile and tried not to throw up. My skull was pounding, and I was starting to sweat. 

"You're not looking too good, kid," laughed the scarred man. 

I glared at him.

He laughed. "The sun will be setting soon." Smiling, he picked at the grass. A rifle laid across his lap. "It'll be interesting to see if they wait until nightfall. Probably not, though. They try to mimic us, but they'll never be as smart."

I narrowed my eyes at him.

"Looks like you have something to say." He leaned over and removed the gag.

I licked my lips. "When Titus crushes your throat, I'll remind you of that," I stated with a hoarse voice. 

"And I'll restate it, when I'm standing over his carcass." He shoved the gag back into place. "I think you've said enough." Standing, the man took an electronic device out of his pocket. A light was flashing on it. "They're coming," he said excited.

The device started to deep louder. "Motion sensors are going off." It beeped again. "Oh my, they are coming in fast," he said with amusement. "Full speed ahead." He pocketed the transmitter. "Hold on a bit longer, kid, and then I'll take you home." He winked at me, before walking off to the trees. 

The man disappeared. I struggled to get free. I managed to dislodge the gag and started working on the rope tied around my wrists. Gritting my teeth, I started to work my hand out. The rope was biting into my skin. 

An eerie stillness fell over the forest. The subtle sound of birds was gone. My heart pounded against my ribs as I scanned the area. 

"Shit," I breathed. 

I once again tried to loosen my bindings. I pried a hand nearly free when I heard leaves rustling. Something was coming, and it was coming quickly. 

A howl echoed through the mountain. 

"No," I breath, yanked my hand out. "No, Titus." I couldn't reach the knot holding me to the post. "My god," I whispered in a shaky voice as I twisted and turn, trying to gain some slack. "Please god."

The noise was coming from the trees right in front of me. 

"Titus!" I screamed. "No Titus. Stay back!"

The black wolf raced across the clearing, his teeth bared. In mid stride, he changed into a werewolf with his claws and teeth bared. 

"No! Go back, go back!"

He reached me and raked his claws along the pole, slicing through the ropes.

"Titus, no!"

He grabbed my arm, and a shot sounded. His body arched forward, and he dropped to his knees. Another bullet ripped through his chest. 

"No!" I screamed, throwing myself on top of him. 

There werewolf fell onto his back. I laid over his body and heard another shot was fired. The bullet hit the ground just beside us. A cloud of dust rising up from the spot. I was shaking, staring down at his hooded eyes. He was still breathing, but it forced. 

"Titus," I whispered.

He reached up and brushed the back of hand against my cheek. He was struck again and howled in pain. I gasped, looking back to see his leg bleeding. Blood had already pooled between us. I started to rise up.