Sleepover!

"Ace, what the fuck."

You had gone back to your little Ramshackle Dorm (a nickname you had given your makeshift home) only to be met with a rather unexpected sight. Ace was at your front door, pacing back and forth like he had something heavy on his mind. It was instantly very obvious what that something was. Not only did Grim have the same heart shaped collar from the entrance ceremony, but Ace did too.

If you had to keep a constant eye on these boys you might just have to drop out of fantasy magic high school. This was too much.

You trudged past Ace and Grim, rubbing your temples while you did so, and groaning. "What happened? Grim, you were supposed to be with Deuce!"

Grim dashed after you. He threw himself around one of your legs and clung on like a toddler would to their parent. He started whining, crying into your pants leg. "(Y/n)! (Y/n), it was awful!" He started blabbering some incoherent nonsense. You rolled your eyes, and ever so quickly motioned for Ace to join you in the longue. He was even quicker to obey.

"Ace, please. What happened? Where's Deuce? And just, why are both of you wearing these things?" You pried Grim off of your leg and sat down on the old, musty couch with him in your lap. It wasn't such a great idea, because he immediately went crying into your vest. You patted his back in as comforting a way as you could.

Ace huffed. "Look, it's not my fault, alright? Just. Keep that in mind." He sat down next to you, irritatedly pulling at his collar while trying to get more comfortable. If you remembered right, whenever people had those collars on, they couldn't use magic. You wondered if that hurt, but at the same time you were glad that you would never have to find out for yourself. It looked very uncomfy.

"Alright. It was totally your fault." You said with utter nonchalance. Ace shot you a glare before speaking.

"Okay, so Deuce and I were in our dorm with Grim, right? And--"

Grim suddenly jumped up, snapping out of his sobbing instantly. "Oh! (Y/n), you should've seen it! They're dorm was so big! And painted, and pretty! You make me embarrassed, living in such an ugly place!" You were quick to shush Grim. Ace rolled his eyes before eagerly cutting back in.

"We were just walking around, showing Grim the place and all, when an upperclassmen came up and told Deuce that he had to go feed the flamingos," Ace refused to acknowledge the confused look you shot him, as if finding out there were flamingos at specifically one of the dorms was not big news, "and it's always going to be a bad idea to have Grim sticking with me. See, Grim started going on and on about eating something, and I was hungry too, so we went to the kitchen, and in the fridge there were these tarts, right? And before I could even try to stop him, Grim was already scarfin' em down!" Ace slammed his hands against his lap. He held his head up high, like he was mid-sneer.

Grim bounced out of your lap to point an accusing finger at him. "Hey!" He yelped, "You were eating it too! You didn't even try to stop me!"

You scoffed, already fed up with them trying to start something. You grabbed Grim and pulled him back into your lap. One hand securely around the monster, you used the other to massage the side of your head. "Okay," you said, "so what does eating some tarts have to do with this?" You gestured to their collars. Ace grumbled.

"I'm gettin' to it!" He huffed. Averting his gaze, he continued, "So, we were eating and then out of nowhere, someone comes up behind us and asks us what we're doing, and BOOM! It was our Dorm Leader!" You were still confused on what he meant by all of this, because it certainly wasn't making any sense to you. He stared at you for a moment, as if trying to gage your reaction.