24

“She lost the baby,” the doctor sadly told Greg. “She said she hasn’t told you yet and I’m sorry that you had to find out this way.”

“How long has she known?”

“About a week. She came to my clinic for the first time this afternoon. She told me that she has been so stressed with work lately and has been eating less. This worried me a bit because it was still too early on in the pregnancy. I told her to take it easy and prescribed vitamins. The first trimester is a crucial part of the pregnancy. Kung hindi pa malakas ang kapit ng fetus ay malaki talaga ang possibility of a miscarriage.”

“I see.”

“Look. I am really sorry for your loss but right now the most important thing is for Sandra to recover – physically and emotionally. It won’t be easy but you have to have extra patience and understanding.”

“Yes Doc.”

“So paano, I have to go now. I still need to make my rounds.”

“Thank you po.”

“Just call me if you need anything.”

He nodded and watched the doctor leave. He then turned to Sandra, who looked so fragile on the hospital bed. He slowly walked towards her. Her eyes were closed but Greg could clearly see tears coming down from them.

“Baby, I’m here. Everything will be okay. I will make sure of that. Nandito lang ako. I will protect you. I will never leave your side.”

Nang narinig ni Sandra ang boses ni Greg ay mas lalo pa itong napaiyak na kinagulat naman ng binata. He kissed her head and whispered, “I love you so much. I love you, Sandra. Everything will be alright.”

Nagpatuloy si Sandra sa pag-iyak pero hindi pa rin n’ya kinakuasap si Greg. Hikbi lang ang lumalabas na tunog sa kanya. He stayed by her side all these time until finally she fell asleep.

Parang dinudurog ang puso ni Greg habang pinagmamasdan ang kasintahan na natutulog. Sa pagkakataong ito pareho silang nawalan ng anak but he knows he will never fully understand what she is going through. All he can do is see to it that she will get better. He promised himself he will do everything in his power to make it happen. Anything.

********