𝒙. sacrificial lambs

𝐕𝐎𝐋𝐔𝐌𝐄 𝐎𝐍𝐄: The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe ──── 𝟏𝟎

𝐕𝐎𝐋𝐔𝐌𝐄 𝐎𝐍𝐄: The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe ──── 𝟏𝟎. Sacrificial Lambs

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

     When the sun had been consumed by night, alike the previous days, the camp spent supper together. That evening, it was a different ambience. As much as the renouncement of Edmund's blood was celebratory, everyone — the camp and the siblings — knew it only brought them one step closer to war. The battle between two armies, the Witch's and theirs.

Katherine wanted to believe there was no longer a target on her brother's back. She didn't want to think about the upcoming war they'd have to partake in. At the same time, the other half of her predicted (to her knowledge) that the Witch couldn't care less about whatever was arranged at the private meeting with Aslan and Eden. All she wanted was his blood, and to think she'd easily let him go was out of character.

She needed to be on guard. More wary. As she had been at home, at the professor's, and especially here.

     During dinner, Lucy complained of a horrible feeling in her stomach, as if someone had been churning milk into butter. 'It's the food you just ate, Lu' would've been Susan's pragmatic response, but not even she could convince herself. The siblings had went to their respective tents once it was bedtime, worry lying heavily on their minds. They tossed and turned and stared at the makeshift roofs over their heads that formed a pyramid shape until unconsciousness swept them into a dreamy state.

     Across from Susan and Lucy's pavilion, hands tucked under her ear, Katherine was still suffering from a short episode of insomnia. Curiosity had become a parasite, and it was getting the best of her, her feet itching to visit either Aslan or Eden and question their next motives.

Given how quiet as it was, she could hear grass scrunching as if someone were walking. She lifted her head off her hands and was startled by a silhouette rounding her tent. Her body took action before her mind could comprehend. She left her bed and took the Quarterstaff that was leant against the foot of it and peeked through the flaps.

Katherine and Eden simultaneously flinched backwards, yelping at one another's sudden appearances.

     "That was impeccable timing, young Katherine," Eden said, the smallest of smiles complimenting her fine features. "It's rather late; was your slumber interrupted?"

"I hadn't been sleeping at all, actually." The girl responded softly.

"The arrangement, isn't it?" Eden, though, didn't speak in a questioning tone. Sheepishly, Katherine nodded. Eden's hands had been clasped behind her back before she motioned to her with her right.