𝒙𝒗. what we left behind

𝐕𝐎𝐋𝐔𝐌𝐄 𝐓𝐖𝐎: Prince Caspian──── 𝟏𝟓

──── 𝟏𝟓. What We Left Behind

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

     There was something hauntingly beautiful about ruins. A purposed structure built from the ground up only to decompose into a lesser form, home to residual energy of the livelihood that once existed. There was always conflict involved, and what would be left behind was the story that was absorbed in those broken nooks and crannies.

     Katherine wished conflict wouldn't end in such a way: the destruction of creation.

     They had hiked up the mountain to inspect the ruins, which catalyzed familiarity to them, but none could pinpoint how. Now, Katherine had the memory of an elephant; she was attentive and could remember a crack in the wall or someone who'd gone to nursery school with her. She was bound to recognize what exactly she was looking at, having spent 15 years in the same location and only a year or so away. But here, her memory was fogged.

     The ruins had succumbed to the elements of nature. Bare-footed and having removed her red blazer and tie on the way up, Katherine wandered solely in the more grassed area. She stopped at one of the towering trees and leaned her ear against the trunk with her hands on either side of her head.

     It was hollow in there.

    She pulled away and craned her neck, squinting at the sun peeking through the tree's branches. She continued roaming aimlessly until she rounded a jagged pillar, dragging her fingers across it, and heard Lucy ask, "Wonder who lived here."

     Susan, walking towards her, paused abruptly and bent down to pick up an object hidden in the grass. Katherine peered over her shoulder and observed the gold figure of a centaur.

     "I think we did." Susan replied. By then, Edmund and Peter rejoined them.

     "Hey, that's mine," clarified Edmund. "From my chess set."

     "Which chess set?" Peter spoke.

     As Edmund retrieved his chess piece, he sassed, "I didn't exactly have a solid gold chess set in Finchley, did I?"

     "Can't be," Lucy mused. Without warning, she took off, and the others were left to question her actions and follow her lead. Lucy took Peter's hand and ascended a platform. "Don't you see?"

     "What?"

     "Imagine walls." Lucy positioned her brother next to Edmund, then Katherine in between Peter and Susan. "And columns there. And a glass roof."