𝒙𝒗𝒊. history repeats itself

𝐕𝐎𝐋𝐔𝐌𝐄 𝐓𝐖𝐎: Prince Caspian──── 𝟏𝟔

──── 𝟏𝟔. History Repeats Itself

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

     "They're so still," commented Lucy, her neck craned so she could observe above.

     Sitting at the bow, the dwarf snuck a glimpse at the melancholic queen. He then gazed upwards where the trees that had caught the young queen's attention were. Completely immobile, almost lifeless. "They're trees. What'd you expect?"

     "They used to dance."

"Wasn't long after you left that the Telmarines invaded. Those who survived retreated to the woods. And the trees, they retreated so deep into themselves that they haven't been heard from since."

     Lucy frowned. "I don't understand. How could Aslan have let this happen?"

     "Aslan?" He repeated, forlorn. "Thought he abandoned us when you did."

     "That's not true," interjected Katherine. The dwarf spared her a hopeless glance. "We never meant to leave, you know."

     "Makes no difference now, does it?"

     "Get us to the Narnians, and it will." Peter said.

Katherine kept her eye on her youngest sister, who resembled that of a kicked puppy. Wordlessly, she set her hand over Lucy's smaller one and curled her fingers around it. She gave her a reassuring, comforting squeeze, prompting Lucy to force a smile her way and lean her temple against Katherine's shoulder.

She faced the dwarf, who kept an anonymous persona the moment they came across his attempt execution. The newest addition to their little party was an enigma; they had fished out little to no information about him aside from the Telmarine incident and what had occurred that got him in that situation in the first place.

He was nothing but short and distant with them as though he didn't trust them. It made Katherine think: was there a personal grudge he had against them? The dwarf, who still hadn't given his name, believed they had abandoned their people — abandoned him — which led them to their downfall.

"What do we call you?" Katherine eventually asked him after contemplating.

He turned his head in her direction, only making eye contact with her for half a second. "Why does it matter?"