𝒗𝒊𝒊. a flower's first breath

𝐕𝐎𝐋𝐔𝐌𝐄 𝐎𝐍𝐄: The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe ──── 𝟎𝟕

𝐕𝐎𝐋𝐔𝐌𝐄 𝐎𝐍𝐄: The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe ──── 𝟎𝟕. A Flower's First Breath

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

     Once the fact that winter was nearing an end dawned upon them, the horrible realization sinking in their bones, they made haste. And when the group arrived at a frozen waterfall that wasn't much frozen anymore, they found the ice was breaking apart piece by piece, revealing the river's current beneath it. Needless to say, Katherine wasn't sure if she wanted to cross it.

     But her brother had other ideas — in fact had already set his mind on the route his sister didn't want to take. Urgently, he ordered, "We need to cross now."

     "Don't beavers make dams?" Lucy suggested to the animals.

     "I'm not that fast, dear." Mr. Beaver responded.

     "Come on!" Peter prepared to make his way down the cliff, practically dragging Lucy by the hand. Katherine had verbally warned him not to yank her, but his mind was settled in a state of panic.

     "Wait! Will you think about this for a minute?" Exclaimed Susan.

     "We don't have a minute!"

The girl muttered, blinking at Peter's sudden snap, "I'm just trying to be realistic."

"No, you're trying to be smart. As usual!" With that, he marched downhill with Lucy, leaving his other two sisters to choose to either follow his lead or remain, which they decided on the former when hearing distant howling.

     Now trailing behind Susan, Katherine softly assured, "He didn't mean it, Sue. We're all under pressure."

     Susan didn't reply, and Katherine didn't push it. They had heard the howling, and even though Susan didn't entirely agree to what they were about to do, she also didn't want to stick around to find out who or what was coming.

Thankfully, the surface was still intact, but not as sturdy as it should've been in the cold season. The mere weight of Peter's foot was enough to make the ice teeter and cause the boy to retreat.

     "Wait." Mr. Beaver raised a paw and insisted, "Maybe I should go first."

     Peter gulped. "Maybe you should."

The Beaver proceeded forwards, thumping his flipper against the surface and, when it seemed safe, waddling closer to the other side. His mate and the humans studied his movement, the former then calling him out as the crack stretched further.