Chapter 23

I felt a slight stir underneath me and snapped my head up to find Hope awake.

"Thank god! Hope, you scared me! I told you to stop doing that." She chuckled. I didn't find this amusing, but her laughter was music to my ears.

"I'm going to go get the doctor and your parents. I'll be right back." I kissed her on the forehead before going to get her parents and the doctor.

The doctor made her way to Hope's room, and Hope's parents couldn't get there fast enough. I just speed-walked behind them, keeping up with their jog.

"Good to see you awake, Hope. I gave us quite a scare." Her parents were hugging her before the doctor went and checked her vitals.

"What is it, doc?" Hope's dad spoke up. The Doctor's face fell a little. She put up some images so we could see them.

"I'm sorry to tell you this, but it has grown. We knew she had only a few months, and it seems we were right." I saw Hope's dad bring his wife into his chest, trying to console her.

"What are you talking about?" I looked over to Hope to see her visibly upset. "What is she talking about, Hope?" Hope hesitated in answering.

"What does she fucking mean?" I yelled out. Everyone except the doctor and Hope's dad flinched.

"I have a brain tumor... It's terminal." I looked at the doctor expectantly, and she just nodded her head in agreement. I marched over to Hope and took her face lovingly into my hand.

"No, No... I can't lose you too." I looked over at the doctor. "Please, is there anything you can do?" The doctor let out a sigh.

"We could try and perform surgery to remove it, but the odds of her surviving is a miracle." I looked over at Hope.

"Why don't you get the surgery?" She grabbed my face now.

"Because there's nothing they can do." I felt tears come down my face.

"She said it would take a miracle. Miracles happen all the time. If you're going to leave me one way or another, at least fight to stay."

"I'm so tired, though. I've lived my entire life like this. Doctors could never find out what was wrong till it was too late." I broke down even more.

"Please. Just fight one more time. Do the surgery. It may be a small chance, but it's still a chance."I looked over to Hope's parents, and they looked over to Hope.

"It's always been up to you." She looked deep in thought. Then she turns to the doctor.

"Okay, I'll do it." Relief washed through me.

"You know you could probably have a month more with them without the surgery. If you do the surgery, it could end your time with everyone sooner." She looked at me.

"But it also could give me a chance to be here longer than a month." The doctor nodded.

"Tomorrow?" I could feel myself tense. She looked at me, then looked at her parents before looking back at the doctor.

"Tomorrow." The doctor walked out, and so did Hope's mom. Hope's dad just followed after her.

"You should have told me." I didn't say with any anger or with any grudge.

"I know. Every time I got even the slightest courage to tell you, I would see you smile genuinely that I just couldn't take it away from you." I had a sad smile.

"It would have happened sooner or later; I just wish it had been sooner." I leaned down and kissed her forehead.

"I'm so tired." She lifted up the covers and patted the bed beside her. I crawled in and laid next to her. She had fallen asleep snuggled into my chest, but sleep was avoiding me like the plague.

"That was the second-worst day of my life during that time. It always seems like when it rains, it pours. I always wondered why life could be so cruel sometimes. I don't know why life dealt with it. Hope the hand they did, she's one of the good ones, you know? Have you ever wondered why it seems like the best people always get it the worse? It must be some type of sick joke."