Chapter 6

"Okay, now that we're here, which aquatic life would you like to see first?" I ask, sounding a little disinterested.

  I didn't hear anything except a huge squeal. I whipped around to see Hope jumping up and down. She looks like a kid hopped up on sugar.

  "Okay, okay. Hope, stop, everyone, is looking at us." I grab her and pull her into me close. I look at everyone staring.

"Go back to your business, nothing here to see. Just a girl completing her dream of coming to an aquarium."

  Everyone carried on with what they were doing. I looked down at Hope, and she was already looking at me, her eyes shining brightly.

  "Sorry, I know I got a little carried away. I just truly am so excited. Can we go see the penguins please!" She had a huge smile on her face and everything.

  "A little is barely scratching the surface. That's okay, though; I freaked out my first time coming to the aquarium too. Now let's go see some penguins!" I said with a little excitement in my voice and starting marching off.

  "Umm. Hey! The penguin exhibit is this way." Hope yelled out to me. I just shrug it off like I didn't just have my ego deflated.

  "Psh... I knew that. Come on Hope, it's this way." She just giggled at my antics and hurried to my side. She engulfed my arm into a hug and rested her head on my shoulder. I wasn't quite prepared for the contact, but I'd do anything to make this day perfect for her.

"Oh my god! Aren't they just the cutest? Look at their waddle! Oh, look! Look! There's a baby one! It looks so fluffy and soft. I want to pet it!" She was so fascinated and even more excited than I had anticipated. Honestly, I should have seen it coming after that squealing episode when we first got here. I grabbed her hand and started pulling her in another direction.

"No, I want to see them." She whined with a pout on her lips.

"Don't worry; you'll like this." I held her hand firmly and brought her to where you could get a better view of them.

"See now you've got a better view of the baby, and they let you do feedings here. We can do that, okay? I'll take pictures." She got the biggest smile and started the cute dance she does when she's excited. She tackled me into a hug, and I almost fell to the ground. I look over at the guy that will take us to feed the penguins, and he is just awkwardly looking at me.

"Can I pay for us to go feed the penguins now?" He just slightly nodded at me.

  Once Hope, let go I gave the guy the money. Hope even got to feed the baby penguin. Well, indirectly, before its parent threw it up back into its mouth. Yuck. I took pictures and videos of all of them. I even got the penguin dude to take a picture of Hope and me. She looked so carefree, and you could see pure, genuine happiness in her eyes.

  After we got done there, we went to pet manta rays. Then we got to swim and feed the dolphins. We got to watch the seals have fun with their trainers as they fed them. We got to go to the big aquarium that had sharks. I got her a funnel cake, and then afterward, I got her a huge stuffed penguin from the gift shop right before we left. She named him Buttercup, by the way. We spent all day there till the place was practically closed.

  "That was so amazing! Thank you so much; you didn't have to pay for all that for me seriously. I could have done it, but I'm truly grateful. For everything!" She ran up and hugged me. This girl loves physical contact. She borrowed her head into my shoulder as I wrapped my arms around her. I started to hear sniffling, so I pulled her closer towards me and held her a little tighter.

"Hey, hey. I'm right here, okay. Just let it all out." I knew she just needed to get everything out. If I were in her shoes, I'd probably be overwhelmed and crying too.

  "I'm sorry about that. I'm just so happy and grateful and just overwhelmed." I smiled down at her and wiped her remaining tears away.

  "You have nothing to be sorry for. I'm glad you're happy. Now come on, I'll grab us some dinner." I smiled immediately, seeing her eyes light up over food.

  We went to our diner. At least that's what we are calling it since we've eaten here twice in one day. Honestly, this place is delicious, so deciding to make this our go-to place was a great idea. I love her laugh and the way it makes her whole body invested in the laugh too. We were in the middle of talking about how I got scared by one of the sharks when her phone went off.

  "Hey. Yeah, it was an amazing day. Yeah, I went with my new friend I told you about. I sent you her contact information. Yes, mom, she's not a serial killer." She rolled her eyes and huffed at this while I choked back a laugh. She just glared at me.

"Yes, mom. I'll be home soon. No, don't worry about coming to get; yes, I know you track my phone. I knew ever since you tried to "sneakily" put it on my phone. Moving on, my friend will drop me off. Okay, mom. I love you too. See you soon. Bye!" She hung up, shook her head, then looked back up at me with a small smile. She was about to speak, but I cut her off.

  "Don't even try to apologize. That was adorable. Your mom seems caring. Let's go, and get you home. Text me what time you want me to get you tomorrow, and we can go on our next adventure." I smiled brightly, and she matched my smile.

  We only drove for about 10 minutes until we reached her house. I found out she only lives a few blocks from my house. I got out of the car and opened up the door for her to get out. She just smiled and thanked me for that. I walked her up to her door.

"Thank you again for today." She shyly spoke. She looked up at me with timid eyes.

"Thank you for today too. Today was amazing. You're amazing." I said with a shy smile of my own. Her smile grew, and mine grew with hers. She leaned up and kissed me on the cheek. I could feel the warmth and the tingly sensation she left on my cheek that seemed to linger.

  "I'll see you tomorrow. Goodnight." She opened up her door and was heading in.

"Goodnight, Hope. I can't wait for our adventure tomorrow." I said back. The last thing I saw before she shut the door was that smile that could turn anybody's day around. I took a deep breath, and made my way back to my car, and headed home.

  Once I got home, my parents were still up working on well work. They were always super busy. I know they've noticed my change in behavior since Maddie passed. They've been trying to get me to go to therapy, but I'm just not ready yet. I stuck my head into their office to make my presence known.

"Hey, mom, hey dad. I'm back in for tonight. I love you both."  They gave a goodnight, and I love you back.

I took some meds that a doctor prescribed me for my nightmares. I fell asleep thinking about Maddie and also the wonderful day I had today.