Chapter 26 - Is this goodbye?

Chapter 26

Lilah felt her heart sink, the last thing any of them needed was this confrontation now. She was so emotionally exhausted, so fraught, that she couldn’t imagine arguing with Quinn or his mother.

She glanced at Freddy and half smiled, “Want a cuddle in bed? Or shall we go to Gran’s house? I don’t think we need to be here for this!” As she was scooping him up to escape, the door flew open and an angry Quinn stood there.

                “This is your fault! So you can deal with her!”

Lilah shook her head, and prodding him in the chest, she set loose all her anger, “No Quinn! This is all your doing! Do you think that the fact that you won’t deal with me, with your son has nothing to do with your inability to manage all that happened with your mother?” She kicked the door open and pointed at Gloria, “that is your mother, and for God only knows how many years you’ve avoided her because of childhood differences and the fact you hate her husband. So I suggest you tell her, and sort that out between yourselves, because if things don’t change, then neither of you will see me or Freddy ever again. It’s pathetic.”

She turned to Quinn’s mother, “your son resents your husband, and after meeting him last week I can see why that is. In his life he’s scared of getting close to anyone because he feels betrayed by you, and you should have consciously made your choice years ago. Frankly you both need to sort this out; otherwise he’s going to die a sad and lonely old man.

She kissed Freddy’s nose, then turned back to the stunned Quinn and Gloria, “there is no way I’m bringing Freddy up with all this bullshit and emotional baggage, so as I say sort it out. I’m going to my mother’s, and you’re both more than welcome to join us, but you come together with this estrangement behind you, or not at all!”

With that she left the house, ignoring the fact she was still in her pyjamas and robe.

As usual, her parent’s house smelled of baking, the Aga was warming the kitchen and despite the sunny day, it wasn’t unbearable.

                “And how’s my favourite little man?” her mother rushed over to reach for her grandson.

Lilah passed him over smiling, “there was a time when you were glad to see me!”

Her mother cooed at the baby for a moment before turning to Lilah, “There’s usually a reason why you turn up here before you’ve got dressed. Argued with Quinn?”

Lilah raised her eyebrows in a ‘driving me mad’ gesture. Her mother was astute, she seemed to be more aware of things than Lilah herself was, and it amazed Lilah how had she missed seeing this when she was growing up? Was parenthood making her wiser? Sighing she was glad to offload Freddy for a moment, then turn to make coffee in contemplative mood.

                “Penny for them?” her mother offered as she over stirred the mug.

Lilah sighed; she was doing a lot of that lately, “Quinn’s mother turned up, so I told them both to sort out their differences or I’d not see either of them again.”

                “Wise words,” her mother agreed, “I know what you’re thinking that his reluctance to commit goes back to his unhappy childhood. All I know is that the man is besotted with you and I’m not sure how long he can go on lying to himself. It will all work out.” She assured her daughter.

                “After all that’s happened I’m not sure I’ve got the energy for the effort of it all Mum."

Rose laid a hand on Lilah’s forearm, “you do look shattered, but then I bet you barely slept all that time in hospital. You’ll get over this, but it is such a shock for you seeing Freddy so sick.” She lifted up one of his hands, still bruised from the injections and IV lines that had adorned his body and kissed it. “But this little guy is strong, and you can’t fall apart now chicky, ok?”