Chapter 18 - Fancy Dress!

Chapter 18

Why had she built it up so much? Lilah cursed herself as she studied her reflection in the mirror. Now she’d made this evening into such a big deal, and she was going to have to confront her feelings for Quinn whilst dressed as Cleopatra! She reviewed herself nervously again, the thick black bobbed wig was so different to he own loose blonde hair, and it was adorned with a gold braided pendant that almost hung between her eyes. Oh and the eyes! Her mother had insisted she wore extravagant make up, and now her eyes were surrounded by elaborate blue shadow and black eyeliner. Shaking her head she straightened her dress, layers of white chiffon that were gathered into shape by gold braids that encircled her breasts and waist making the dress more provocative than she liked. And she wished it was a bit longer...no a LOT longer. But she picked this fancy dress weeks ago, way before she knew that Quinn would be there, now she was having doubts.

She wasn’t one for dressing up, but behind the makeup and jewellery she supposed she could be someone else. And tonight she had to be strong and make Quinn realise that she was worth the risk, that she was more than another one night stand.

Fortunately the gold gladiator sandals that came with the outfit were flat; she hated heels, especially in the country. Coming down stairs she walked into the lounge and had to stop, stunned, laughter taking over every inch of her body. Her parents as usual did nothing in half measures and were stood smiling at her. Her father was wearing an Elvis style wig, a white t-shirt and black biker jacket, her mother skin tight black leggings and a similar top with a satin pink jacket and large blonde curly wig. When they turned around she saw both jackets had ‘T-birds’ and ‘Pink Ladies’ adorning them respectively.

                “Oh my god! You pair look hilarious!”

Rose grinned with her bright red lips, “Your father was better than John Travolta back in the day, he was quite a catch you know!”

Lilah shook her head, “too much information Mum!”

Tony laughed, “well you look the part too Delilah, no one will recognise you!”

It was then that peals of laughter came from the doorway, all three adults turned to see Maria a vision as a pirate, a black patch over her eye, drawn on stubble, a red captain’s coat, trousers and boots, and a large pirate hat with an exceptional plume of feathers. “Who are you all meant to be?”

Lilah and her parents exchanged a round of raised eyebrows then gathered the family together; Freddy was looking adorable in a Tigger outfit, perfect baby fancy dress. So united as a family, they made their way along the trail to the village.

They all paused as they reached the green, it truly was beautiful, amongst the bunting, draped between the buildings and the gazebos where hundreds of small fairy lights, like blinking stars. Music was playing in the largest tent, but it was at a reasonable level and seemed to add to the magical atmosphere.

Two other pirates jumped out of the tent shouting, “Ahoy there me Hearties!"

Maria laughed and pulled out her sword, chasing her two friends across the green.

                “Don’t leave the green!” Lilah shouted as she disappeared into the growing darkness.

Everyone was dressed up, and as predicted the whole atmosphere was enhanced by the buoyancy of the earlier victory. Rory Barton, the teenager who’d scored the winning runs was lording it over the other teenagers present, much to his father’s laughter; the other seven players welcomed her father like a hero. 

Someone wolf whistled at her as she queued at the bar, but other than a gracious smile, she made no effort to circulate. Once she had a drink she pushed Freddy’s pram to a quiet corner of the marquee and sat down, her mother was talking amongst the other wives, and despite her gesturing for Lilah to join them, Lilah declined, glad to have a few moments to herself.