Chapter 25 - Complicating Times

Chapter 25

For a moment Lilah didn’t know where she was. It was dark and she was wrapped in familiar arms. Then with a burst of fresh pain, the last two days came flooding back. At her gasp, Quinn’s arms tightened around her.

                “Hey it’s ok, I called half an hour ago, everything’s fine.”

She softened, collapsing back against the bed, and Quinn, “what time is it?”

                “Just before six.” And as she started to protest he kissed her forehead, “yes we’ve been asleep for five hours. Nowhere near enough really, but enough to give the nurses some time to do their job.”

                “Was I in the way?” she asked sitting up.

Quinn ruffled her hair, “I’m sure you weren’t, but they can do more when you’re not there. And now you’re ready for another day?” She begrudgingly nodded, then he added, “good. Let’s go then, yeah?”

The day was a long and winding day, by lunchtime the doctors were talking about starting to wake him up, let him try to fend off the infections. But within minutes his temperature rose and they were running around trying to control another bout of fever.

By late evening he was stable again, a male nurse encouraged them to go and get some food, have a rest. Whilst Lilah instantly resisted, once again Quinn led her off.

                “They’ll phone us Blondie, I’ve given them your mobile number, now come on, there’s a pub around the corner. It’ll take ten minutes to get there, and they do nice food, or so the doctor told me earlier. We need a break.”

Lilah made it to the front door but then stopped and through a blur of tears, sobbed, “how can I leave him here? I can’t go to a pub and make small talk. I’m in pieces Quinn!”

For the umpteenth time in the last two days, he took her in his arms and stroked her hair, absorbing her tears into her hard body. Kissing the top of her head he murmured, “we’re not forgetting or ignoring him by trying to keep some level of sanity. You need a break. A hot meal, a coffee or maybe a glass of wine might help you sleep. I’m getting as worried about you as I am about Freddy.”

She tried a smile but it became a grimace, but nodding she followed him out into the darkness. Sitting waiting for food, Lilah sipped at a glass of wine, and Quinn, a pint of beer in front of him, filled her parents in on the latest updates via her phone.

                “How can you be so strong?” she asked as they walked back to the room in the parents accommodation.

He squeezed her fingers, “it’s killing me too Blondie, I don’t know when I last cried, but I’m as close as I’ve been in my life. I swear.”

After a brief check on Freddy they made for the room, and found themselves sat on the bed not knowing what to do.  Quinn’s arm was a permanent fixture around her shoulder and she turned to his body for the comfort she’d come to rely on.

When he rested his lips on her forehead, she tilted her head, searching for those same lips with her own. There was something comforting and tender about the kiss, and Lilah found herself clinging to him as he stripped her of her clothes, discarding his own equally quickly, after locating a condom in his wallet. They made love more tenderly than Lilah thought possible, tears flowing down her face throughout, as they both found an emotional climax.

As they collapsed together afterwards Lilah realised how much she depended on him, and knew she couldn’t contemplate him leaving after this. She’d spent her life being fiercely independent, and now that she’d finally let someone shoulder some of the burden for her, she wasn’t sure that she could just let him walk away again.