Chapter 3 - the plot thickens

After huddled conversations between the four still masked men, they eventually disappeared outside. It was still daylight but it seemed nearer dusk, a poorly timed rumble for her stomach only confirmed that it was late in the day. She dropped her head, struggling to keep tears at bay, how the hell had this happened? To her?      

When she eventually looked up, Quinn was glaring at her, “you work out here?” When she nodded he added, “and this boss was happy for you to travel on the local bus service? There are so many hold ups at the moment. He should be shot himself for endangering you like that.”      

She shrugged, “I’m an adult and I make my own decisions. Now can we concentrate on getting out of her rather than you abusing me?”      

He laughed, “if you think this is me abusing you you’re not going to tolerate the next few days or however long they keep us holed up.”      

Lilah didn’t respond to that comment, didn’t know how. She was hoping that she was some sort of machine, someone who could tolerate this kidnap and all it may ensue. As it was she was a wimp, fear made her shake, made her feel physically sick and she was trying SO hard to fight it, trying so hard not to think about the next ten minutes, let alone any longer. But the truth was she had no idea how long this would last, and also that Quinn was possibly her only way out of here. The arrogant stranger who’d thrown himself into this path with her. He was saying it was her fault, that the men wanted her, but he was translating, it could just as easily be him they were after. But he mentioned Gavin’s name. He couldn’t have guessed that.      

She tried to think of nice things, nice thoughts. Anything to drag herself away from this hell. But tears rolled down her face, at memories of her mother the last time she’d seen. They’d been at the bus stop in the quaint sleepy village in Cornwall that was home to her parents.  Her mother, Rose had spent even the last few moments trying to convince Lilah not to leave. But Lilah always knew best! There was no real insight into why Rose felt that way, other than that her parents missed her when she’d travelled and now it’d had all ended up like this! She swore if she ever made it home, if she got out alive she’d listen to her mother every time.                       

“I didn’t mean to upset you Blondie, you’ve got to hold it together to try and get through this.” His voice cut through her thoughts pulling her back harshly to reality.                       

“Hold it together?” she turned as much as she could to rear in his face, “I’m tied to a bloody chair, my shoulders feel like they’re about to pop out of their sockets they’ve been behind my back for so long, there are four men with shotguns outside, and I’m pinning my hopes on a man who calls me Blondie! What the hell have I got to be stressed about?”      

He smiled at the sarcasm, the bravado on her face, “but you are blonde!”      

She shook her head, “what’s happening now do you think?”      

“They’ll be contacting your boss, asking for money I presume. At least then we might get out of here if he pays up...”      

“And if he doesn’t?” she asked at a half whisper. She dreaded the answer, but she needed to know.       “Then I’ll have to get us out, the harder option, but still doable!” He grinned but it was not the most convincing of looks, but as Lilah looked at him she realised he wasn’t bigging it up or boasting, he really believed he could do it. Whilst she knew that it was a long shot, the thought that he was this confident, gave her some hope. He was dressed in thick khaki combats with a same colour shirt and a grubby white t-shirt underneath, his heavy boots had seen many miles. He was the epitome of a desert soldier. She felt a little easier.