Third Day, Part 4

When she opened her eyes again, Amity found herself in an entirely unfamiliar room. The area looks pristine and stark white from the walls to the bedsheets she's under in. Her Grom clothes had also changed to a simple black shirt and shorts.

But what took her by surprise are the two occupants in the room. Her brother Edric is asleep with his head resting at her bedside and her sister Emira checking through her scrollphone before gazing up with a sudden jolt.

"Mittens!" Emira looks over to her brother and jabs him with her elbow, "Hey, look alive!"

"Is she okay!?" Edric blurts out, startled from his nap. The two girls gave him a stare as he slowly realizes what he said and nervously laughs, "Haha, you know. I was getting bored waiting for her to wake up, because I got, like, better things to do, haha..."

"You're so weak, Ed."

"I know..."

"Em? Ed? What are you two doing here? And where are we?" Amity tries to sit up, but her head got assaulted by the sudden rush. Emira gently lays her back down and offers a glass of water from the bedstand.

"Don't panic... but you're at the hospital, baby sis," Emira explains, "That Owl Lady contacted us had no choice to bring you here. You had a Skull Screamer infection, and she couldn't free you from it herself."

The Skull Screamer. Amity remembers it all now. The day at the beach, the dream she went through, and her saving-

"Luz!" Amity bolts up again, "What about her? Is she okay?"

"She's fine," Edric swears, then uncomfortably glances away, "But it's not her I would worry about it if I were you."

Amity was about to ask what he meant by that before hearing the door leading to the room open. The three siblings all turn their heads to see a woman in a black dress stepping inside while holding the door open. Her face is easily distinguishable from her sharp eyes and the green hair she has tied into a bun. Amity felt all heat leaving her body when her mother gave her a scrutinizing gaze.

"You're awake," her tone is more stern than gentle, "How are you feeling?"

"I'm... fine," Amity answered honestly, but her tone went timid.

Odalia Blight slowly inhales and nods at her daughter, "Good. Because I believe you owe me an explanation."

Emira leans forward between them and says, "Mom! Can't this wait? She just woke up and-"

"If she says she's fine, then she can speak," Odalia narrows her eyes at her eldest daughter, "And I don't recall asking for your opinion." Emira's word got caught in her throat under her mother's stare. With her interjection shot down, she sits back with her arms crossed and irritably stares at the floor.

Ed looks at his mother, then to his two sisters. Feeling his brotherly instinct telling him to stand up for them, he rises out of his chair and faces their mother. He clears his throat and says, "Mom, I-"

"Edric, be a good boy and take Emira with you on your way out."

"Yes, ma'am!" Edric takes his twin sister by the arm to lead her out before mouthing 'I'm sorry' to Mittens. Odalia waits for the two to disappear into the hallway before closing the door behind them. Leaving just her and Amity alone together.

Her mother crosses her arms and slowly walks towards the window with the closed blinds and peers through between them. Amity knows this method of hers, pretending to occupy herself, to let the tension to force her crack open. Or at least that's what she thought, for when she tries to explain her mother suddenly speaks.