First Day, Part 2

"Tonight on Owl's Kitchen! Our restaurant has received their toughest customer yet. A creature known across the world for his insatiable bloodlust and accurately harsh reviews. His name that brings terror to heroes and chefs alike, The King of Demons!" Luz aims her phone recording to King and chants his name.

"Please, King of Demons is my conquest name. In this place, I am the King of Cuisine!"

Luz brings the wooden spoon to her face as a mic and continues, "All seems lost for our aspiring Chef Luz, but out of the dark clutches of the freezer comes a salmon of hope! When a new chef has entered the fray, Amity Blight!"

King and Luz aim their flashlights at Amity standing next to the stove as makeshift spotlights. She awkwardly waves at the phone recording before asking, "Wait, did you just call me a fish?"

"Did I?" Luz slyly grins, "Guess that makes you a real catch."

King stuck his thumb down and boos as Amity tries stifling a giggle. She takes out her hairband to further pull her hair back, "So, what are we making?"

"I figure we'd start this night with something simple but heartwarming. How does beef stew sound to you?"

"I can work with that," said Amity.

"Okay... minus five points off the get-go," King muttered as he types onto the phone.

"Looks like we gotta try hard to impress," Luz giggles as she dons her apron, "I'll start with the onions. Can you preheat the pan for me?"

"Uh, yeah. No problem!" Amity sheepishly nods and heads over to the stove. She picks one of the steel pans off the rack and places it next to the stovetop. She looks down and stares at the etchings above the temperature dials labeling zero to nine.

"Uh, Luz? What temperature do we need?" she asked.

"Medium low will work," Luz said as she works through the onion with her knife.

"Medium low?" Amity repeated to herself, "Which one is that?" She cranks the dial to one and watches the tiny flames burst to life. Obviously too little to count as 'medium,' Amity decides to gauge the heat and cranks the dial to max.

Resulting a huge column of flame to flare out in front of her. Amity lets out a terrified shout but Luz didn't notice as she starts chopping the onions until King taps on her shoulder and points at the scene. "What the-!? Turn it off!" Luz rushes in and turns the dial down, receding the fire down to its natural state.

"So yeah... that might've been a little too high."

"You think!? Why would it shoot up like that?" exclaimed Amity.

"It is Eda's kitchen," Luz said in a disturbed tone as she stares ahead, recalling many of her terrified discoveries around the house. She shakes her head and asks, "I don't mean to be rude, but have you ever cooked on a stove before?"

"Not... really," admitted Amity as she brushes her hair back, "Our house staff do most of the cooking and chores. I can make campfire meals but even I had help with my siblings."

"House staffs? Like maids and butlers? Haha... you know I keep forgetting how insanely rich you are," Luz chuckles weakly. She takes her cutting board of chopped onions and tosses them into the pan. A thought pops into her head causing another sly smile to play on her lips, "Don't tell me... does Little Miss Perfect here secretly has a Bad Chef trope?"

"Ugh, first off do not call me that! And second, I'm not 'bad' it's just another skill I haven't learned yet. Like advanced magic or laundry."

"You don't know how to do your own laundry?"