One.

I stood nervously at the front of the hall, listening to the thoughts of those around me. That was a gift I possessed. The ability to hear throughs of anyone I choose. It wasn't always a good thing to be able to do, but I utilised it to the best of my ability.

"Celia Atropa." A woman with thick round glasses said. I let out a small gasp when I heard my name. Nervously, I pushed my unusually dark hair out of my face as I made my way towards her. I sat facing everyone else in the hall as a leathery hat was placed onto my head. I jolted slightly as it sprung to life.

"Ahh yes." It said in a raspy voice. "Dedication, patience, full to the brim with loyalty and value of fair play and hard work. It must be, Hufflepuff!" I smiled a little before hopping off the chair and made my way towards the Hufflepuff table.

Of course we would get the weakest. I looked up, wondering who that came from. I sighed, dropping my head. Spectacular.

-----

I had only been at Hogwarts for a few days, but I already felt like the outcast. I griped tightly to the books in my arms however two older boys from a different house deliberately barged into me, knocking me to the floor. I released a shaky breath as I began picking my book back up. Out of nowhere, a small, green, stick-like figure popped up, trying to hoist up one of my books. It freezes when it sees me.

"Hi there." I say with a soft smile. "Where did you come from?" It turns around and points to a young boy who is walking in the opposite direction. "But he's leaving." The little creature starts to visibly panic. "Come on. I'll take you to him." I hold out my hand and he hops on, running up my arm and perching on my shoulder. I quickly rushed up to the boy and tapped him on the back. "Excuse me." He turned towards me.

"oh, um, hello." He greeted.

"Uh, so you dropped you're, uh, you're friend." I say, watching the small creature jump from my shoulder to him.

"Pickett, I told you to stop jumping out of my pocket." He said. "I am terribly sorry."

"That's quite alright." I smiled.

"He is usually very introverted for a bowtruckle, so I can't imagine what made him come over to you."

"I was just picking up me books and it looked like he was trying to do the same." I say, still looking curiously at the little guy.

How did you drop your books?

"Oh, I didn't drop them, I was pushed over." I say and he looks a little startled. "What's the matter?"

"I'm sorry but I didn't think I said that out loud."

"Right, you didn't. I was born with the ability to hear thoughts which is kinda crazy and it's not always a good thing." I explain with a slight laugh.

"Actually no, that's quite fascinating." He replies with a smile. "I must be going, however I do hope I run into you again soon."

"Okay." I say and watch as he walk off.

-----

During lunch that day, I merely stared down at my empty plate. Suddenly, the owls swooped in, dropping down mail and a thin letter landed in front of me. I ripped it open and inside was a small note from my mother, telling me my baby sister had been born, along with a photo of her It said she was born prematurely, and the doctors warned them that she may be extra vulnerable until she was at least a few weeks old, but my parents had faith. I slotted them back into envelope and stored them in my pocket. However then I felt a slight tug at the sleeve of my robe and I looked down, seeing Pickett once again.

"What are you doing?" I ask in a whisper. "Go back to... I don't know his name." He looked up at me, his tiny eyes begging me to let him stay. I sighed. "You can stay for a little while but you have to be quite and must go back before everyone clears out of the hall, okay." He nods his head and sits on my arm, swinging his legs.

-----

That evening, I had fallen asleep in the library, and could only hope I didn't get caught by anyone on the way to my dorm. I slung my bag over my shoulder and started to dash up some stairs. Suddenly, I ran into something at the top of the steps and would've fallen back down them if someone hadn't've caught my wrist.

"When I said I hoped to run into you again, I didn't mean literally." I looked up and saw the same boy from earlier. He pulled me up so I wasn't hanging over an open staircase.

"Hi." I smiled. "What are you doing still up?"

"I could ask you the same thing."

"Yes but I asked you first."

"I couldn't sleep and then Pickett ran off again, but I see you've found him." He say and I furrow my eyebrows.

"What?" He points to my shoulder and Pickett emerges from out of my hair.

"Is he always this clingy?"

"Not with just anyone. I think he might like you."

"That's good then, because I like him too." I say, looking at Pickett.

"And the reason you are up is?"

"I fell asleep in the library while studying how to not explode a potion."

"Then maybe you ought to get some sleep." He says, cocking his head to the side. "And perhaps Pickett will go with you."

"Are you sure?"

"I really don't mind." I went to walk away but turned back for a moment.

"I never actually caught your name."

"I was just thinking the same, however I'm sure you knew that." He said.

"I'm Celia Atropa."

"Newt Scamander."