Chapter 1 > You're My Past

PRESENT

It felt good to be back home, Jake has been away for too long. He could feel himself breathe out the stress and worry as he took in his surrounding. It wasn't a battlefield back in Iraq. It was San Francisco. It was home. As Jake walks carrying his backpacks in the airport, he can feel the stares. He knew what they were thinking. A solider coming home. One thing they didn't know was that he has been gone for the past two years. He felt proud to wear the uniform of a US soldier. Ever since he could remember, he knew that's what he wanted. The people in the airport were still staring. Some were smiling, some were waving, some were even saluting him. Jake never signed up for this part. Thought it felt incredible to be appreciated.

A man who looks to be in his early forties walked up to Jake with a smile. "Thank you for your service. May God bless you, son." The feeling overwhelmed Jake. "Thank you sir," He smiled, "May God bless you too." The man smiled, patted his back and walked away. Moments like these are what gets Jake through his nightmares. They are the people that gets him going through his toughest days. Jake has nightmares during his day dreams. But that's his demons he wrestles with.

The thought of her helps too. She is always in the back of his mind. She never once left his mind, not for a second. Even in combat, her face surfaces in his thoughts and he fights harder wishing he could see her smile once again. However, its been four years. He tells himself he will move on, but it's a lie his been telling himself since he let her walk away. He shook his head to clear his thoughts. He was desperate need of sleep. Jake wanted to close his eyes shutting the world out. Though, its not that easy. Nightmares haunt him from his time over seas. His a haunted man with demons no one else sees.

As Jake keeps walking through the airport, a child stops him in his track. The little boy looks up at him with his eyes shinning with excitement. He grins big enough for Jake to see a tooth missing in the front. He stands straight and salutes Jake. Jake couldn't help the smile fighting to form on his lips. Raising his right hand, Jake salutes back. The little kid's eyes went wide letting Jake know that the gesture meant a lot to him. The kid couldn't be more than 6. "You're awesome!" He said.

Bending down, Jake lowered himself to be eye level with the kid. "You know you're more awesome!"

"Really?" The kid asked.

He nodes, "What's your name little dude?"

"Colten." He answers.

"Well Colten, I'm Jake." He stretches out his hand. Colten takes it and shakes his hand. "It was a pleasure meeting you."

The huge grin never left Coltens face. "Mommy says you're a hero. I agree! You fight bad guys to protect the country. You're a superhero!"

"Your mom told you all that?" Colten nods. Jake smiles again, "Your mom sounds great."

A nearby shout catches both of their attention.

"Colten!"

The little kids eyes go wide. Only this time it wasn't because of excitement. He looked like he was a deer caught on the headlights.

"Colten!"

"Uh oh." That's all that comes out of Coltens mouth.

"Oh my god Colten!" Jake turns his attention to the voice. "How many times have I told you not to run off like that?" This time, Jake eyes go wide. She scoops Colten into her arms. "I am so sorry." She was talking to Jake, but still keeping her eyes on little Colten making sure he was okay. "We were grabbing something to eat then he saw you in your uniform and got a little too excited. He ran off before I could even pay the cash register."

How is this possible? She was right in front of him. Only few steps away. So close yet so far away. Her voice still sounded so sweet, it was music to his ears. Jake couldn't believe his eyes. He couldn't tell if his vision were playing tricks on him. She still looked the same. No, that's not true. She looked more beautiful than he remembered. For the last four years he could only imagine what she looked like. The real deal was standing right in front of him and it was better than any imagination he came up with.

It's her.

"Again, I'm so sorry." She finally looked up. Her green eyes locked with his brown ones. She realized who he was. Jake could see she was just as suprised and shock as he was. If possible, more than him. She stood there paralyzed not being able to look at anything but Jake. Finally, he could see it. The pain across her beautful green eyes. It killed him to know he was the reason behind it. One thing Jake Tyler knew about Alexandra Mathews is she can hide emotions and thoughts very well. Except, Jake could see right through it when he looked into her eyes. Right now, he can see her wishing she was anywhere but here.

"I want you to make me stay Jake!"

"Mommy!" Colten yelled. "This is Jake. Look Mommy, I met a hero!" Colten was bouncing with enthusiasm in his mom's arms.

Alexandra kept her gaze locked with Jake's. "Yeah, a hero." She whispered.