Chapter 9 > You'e My Haunted

PRESENT

Jake looked around his apartment. It was all blend. Nothing but white walls. He couldn't help but wonder what it would be like to have something mean so much more. He had it... but he had walked away from it. It's a decision that still haunts him.

He was laying down on his bed wide awake with only one thing in his mind.

Her.

Jake pulled the top drawer from his nightstand. Under the mess inside was the thing he held most dear to him. He pulled it out looking it at it. Instantly a smile had appeared on his lips. The picture was a bit worn out. He had it with him everyday in the battlefield or when he was asleep. It was the only reminder of home. In the picture, Jake and Alex both had their cap-and-gowns on. He had his arm around her while he was looking down at her. He remembered she was trying to get the camera together to take a picture of both of them on their graduation day. She was laughing so hard because she had worn heels and she couldn't balance herself. The moment the click went off, he looked at her and she smiled brightly at the camera. The look in his eyes spoke a thousand words. The ones he could never say but instead ran from.

They looked happy. She looked amazing. He looked sane. Only things aren't like that anymore. Of course Alex looks amazing now. No, She looks beautiful. Every time he sees those green eyes, the warmth never left. Except the love they once showed is replaced by hurt and pain.

Jake wasn't sane. He can't think the last time he had been okay. Except that day in the airport. When he had seen her for the first time in years. He couldn't believe it was her standing in front of him with Colten.

He needed to take a deep breath. This was too much for him. Regret hits him like a bullet.

Sometimes he wishes he never met her. He couldn't imagine what his life would have been like if that was the case.

He thought back to the day when he first fell for Alex.

Mr. Peterson had called her to his desk after class. Jake had walked behind her eyeing Mr. Peterson. The man had looked at him with caution. Jake had stared back until he left the class. Only he didn't. He stayed behind hiding outside trying to overhear what was going on. Alex hardly ever gets in trouble so he knew something was up. So he stayed behind to overhear them. Turns out Mr. Peterson was warning her to stay away from him.

It took everything in Jake's body not to barge back in and smash the teacher's face in. His hands were shaking trying to contain himself from punching something. Though Peterson was right. How could he get close to Alex when he is full of layers of just fucked up? He couldn't ruin her life. He needed to keep his distance. No matter what, Alex isn't just anybody.

But just then, Alex spoke. What shocked Jake was that she defended him. "You don't know anything about Jake Tyler nor do I. But I wouldn't be making my judgments off what people are going around and saying. A well educated man like yourself to know the difference."

Jake hid beside the lockers away from the entrance from the class when he noticed Alex was about to walk out. When she left, he was was in complete awe of her. That night when he sat front of her at the diner, he was contemplating on what to do. He was torn between keeping her away from danger from himself or getting to know what makes her different. Later, right there in then, he knew he had to get close to Alex. There was nothing like her.

With the picture still in his hands, Jake fell asleep.

"We have to get out of here!" Jake looked back firing at one of the enemy. There were too many. They were men short. Jake Tyler and his team were attacked on their way to station. They were outnumbered. It was only five of them. They couldn't get a clear look at how many were firing at them. The bullets kept coming.